Liver Disorders Community
Fermented Juice As Bad as Alcohol?
About This Community:

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Fermented Juice As Bad as Alcohol?

Diagnosed with fatty liver 6 years ago.  Also have gout.  44 years old  5-10 / 200.  My favorite beverage is fermented fruit juice, which I make by storing and opening commercial apple juice in the fridge for weeks.  Then I just mix with water 1/2 and 1/2.  Gets nice carbonated pop going but I really don't consider this to be alcohol.  I've basically been drinking this for the last 3Y.  

Aside from that, I drink a beer every 6 months.  Maybe some wine every 2 months.  Have not been successful at switching to a low sodium diet.  I love hot, spicy foods.  Also, when not at home, I drink lots of soda.

Now, I have been experiencing some symtoms (symptoms) which lead me to believe my fatty liver has graduated to cirrhosis.  I've had sporadic but very intense fevers, constant fatigue, irregular bowel movements, foul-smelling stool, numbness in my legs, etc.  Obviously there could be other reasons for these, and I've made an appointment with a doctor.  But could my drinking fermented juice be bad for my fatty liver?  

Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
758338_tn?1235788602
Is there alcohol content in your concoction???  If so, then its effects would be exactly that of a like alcoholic beverage with similar % alc content.

As for "graduating" to cirrhosis. Best let your Doc determine that, get some bloodwork - and then if he/she detects change and markers, may order the good ole biopsy.

Hope you get at the root cause of your ailment(s) and can feel fantastic! FOr my steatosis, i really try to stay lean, and I exercise 4x a week (which somedays is sheer hell to muster up the energy to get there)....but, (for me anyway) over time I have slowly felt better ....

J

Blank
Thanks for the comment.  I've stopped drinking it after learning that the bacteria in fermented juice may not be the best thing.  It would be equivalent to regularly consuming spoiled foods.  

As for those symptoms, I'm bracing for the worst, since cirrhosis isn't really reversible.  As far as exercising goes, I've been emulating Mark Twain:  when I get the sudden urge to exercise, lie down until the feeling goes away.  

But I am trying to exercise and hopefully losing weight can lighten some of these symptoms, especially the fever.  I've also been experiencing foul-smelling urine, as if my kidneys aren't filtering out sodium or nitrogen.  Scary, enough to change your eating habits in a hurry.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Liver Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...