Liver Disorders Community
Fibroscan

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Fibroscan

I am writing in hopes that you may be able to help me identify locations where I may be able to obtain a Fibroscan in the U.S.

I am a 45 year-old female Caucasian, and I am not in a position to easily obtain a liver biopsy due to extreme sensitivities to multiple local anesthetics tested, and concerns expressed by my doctors regarding IV sedation/general anesthesia without further testing.  They have recommended that a non-invasive procedure would be preferable given my particular medical history.

I have had elevated ALT and AST levels for over 20 years, and past ultrasounds and liver MRIs have not shown an indication of fatty liver.

I have been frequently ill throughout my life and I recently developed a positive ANA (speckled) of 1:160.  I am seeing multiple physicians without diagnosis to date. Several of these physicians are leaning toward the possibility of lupus, lupoid hepatitis, or autoimmune hepatitis.  To date, testing has ruled out viral hepatitis, celiac disease, rheumatoid factor, and various other causes for the health issues I am experiencing. In addition, HIV testing prior to undergoing IVF procedures in 2009 was negative.

I have low IgM levels and my IgG pneumococcal antibodies have not responded well to either Pneumovax or Prevnar vaccines after 5 attempts since 2000, and I am currently protective for less than 50% of the 23 pneumococcal polysaccharides tested in January 2012.

In addition, I currently have Vitamin D and Vitamin B1 deficiencies, chronic asthma, very high cholesterol levels, heart arrythmia (both supraventricular tachycardia and sinus tachycardia noted consistently since 1997), recurrent disc-shaped skin rashes since August 2011, and malar erythmea since November 2011.

I will be starting Plaquenil soon to see if that helps the skin manifestations, as skin biopsy is also difficult for the same reasons as stated above.

I would like to have Fibroscan testing done to potentially assess the degree of liver damage, and/or confirm or rule out NAFLD/NASH as a possible cause for the low positive ANA, so that I can begin an appropriate course of treatment.

I live in Louisiana, and am able to travel easily anywhere in the U.S. that might have the technology available without the typical requirement for a liver biopsy as required in clinical trials.  I greatly appreciate any help you can offer in my search for possible providers.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in this forum or via PM if you should require any further information.  

Thank you for your assistance and best regards.
Tags: Hepatitis Researcher, HR, low IgM, Hepatitis, fibroscan, Liver
Hello,I had my Dr write a perscription to get the test if you google Quest Labs or any major lab in your area you can look up weather they offer the test I had mine done at quest the tech did not know how to draw and had to call the main office because she had never heard of the test. I recived the results but my primary and GI Dr  did not know how to read so you will need to find a hepatologist or another expert to read the results hope this helps