Liver Disorders Community
Gastric Bypass surgery with NASH and eary cirrhosis

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

I am considering gastric bypass surgery to reduce my weight because my liver is moving quickly into mid cirrhosis and I have long term NASH and I am insulin dependant now.  I do not drink or smoke, My spine is damaged so exercising is very difficult at this time.
I cannot do Interferon because of depression. I would like to know if this surgery will slow down the rate of fibrosis, I am early stage 4.

I am geno type 1a and my viral load is 750,000. I have had it for 28 years now. I have no other symtoms (symptoms) from the hep c except for the bone pain.

What would be considered a poor surgical risk patient?
sorry to hear that you are going through this. If you look to the right you will see "expert forums" - the Hepatitus (hepatitis) C expert forum has a doctor by the name of Dr. Douglas Dieterich of Mt Sinai in NYC. I think your questions would be best answered by him.
Btw I have hepc also and I am treating. Also there are many people who have depression and still do treatment for hep c. The doctors usually will start the patient on Anti depressants and monitor them during tx. Of course each case is different and you would need to see a doctor to see if this is something that they would want you to do. Its best to see several doctors and get several consults. I had quite a few consults before I started to treat and I had a few doctors that told me to not even bother to treat that I would probably die of something other than Hepc, but thats why its best to talk to several Hepatologists, which you can find at the larger teaching Hospitals. But anyhow Dr. Dieterich is a leading Hepatologist in the nation and we are very fortunate that he is here at the expert forum to answer questions.  

I wish you the best!
MO
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
opus88 commented on photo
opus88 commented on photo
Track your weight over time