Liver Disorders Community
Hemoptysis-unexplained

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Hemoptysis-unexplained

Four days back, I had gargled my throat while brushing, (put two fingers in my throat) and out came sputum-cough..all bright red coloured. Maybe a spoonful of it. Rushed to the GP, who knows my liver condition (fatty hepatomagealy, liver 16.9 cms, portal vein 9.9 cms, rest all is normal in USg) spleen and splenic vein is normal.

GP asks for chest PA X-ray, cbc, and pt. all comes out normal. I also do a liver usg, and LFT. Everything comes out normal, except this time, the sonography sys 4 mm stone in left kidney. A urologist opinion is sought, and he does a non contrast CT (because of my allergy) creatine and uric acid. CT SCAN says no stone. Creatine is normal and so is uric acid.

I Am a past smoker and a alcoholic, and worry a lot over these things. My GP smiles at my worries. He says the hempptysis could be a one off, and nothing related. Should I investigate it further for lung cancer (though chest X-ray is fine and normal) or for varices or ct of thorax?

Avatar_dr_f_tn
A complete evaluation is must before arriving at a confirmed diagnosis. Mild haemoptysis or once blood in sputum could be from the oral cavity or nasopharynx .It could be due to teeth injury, throat infection or any condition related to the lungs.Varices would cause haemetemesis and haemoptysis is unlikely due to varices. Do you have any fever, cough, chest pain or weight loss? Since your X-ray chest is normal it does not seem to be related to the lungs. If you are still doubtful it is suggested to seek second opinion. You should have a frank discussion with your doctor about your concerns and clarify your queries. Only after a clinical examination it can be determined whether you need above mentioned investigations or not. See a physician and keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!
Ok, two more drops of coffe coloured sputum in morning only, when I gargle forcefully. Doctor orders endoscopy. Results awaited.

Thanks, Dr. Arti.
Since the blood is brown or coffee coloured, teeth or gum bleeding is ruled out.
Chest PA X-RAY is normal
Sonography of whole abdomen is normal except fatty liver.
Non contrast CT Of KUB (kidneys) is normal, except phlebolith in lower pelvis, outside the ureter.
GI endoscopy is perfectly normal.
Blood tests CBC, LFT, KFT, PT are normal.
Doc feels next time blood comes, some brain CT or advanced eating may have to be done.

I had very greasy meals before every episode. Could this be due to acidity?

Thanks, and the greasy meals were bad.
Oh, and no fever, loss of appetite or weight, chest pain or major cough problems.
As a fellow hypochondriac who is also liver obsessed, I can relate. And I too am a former alcoholic who stopped drinking 3 years ago when I found out my liver was mildly enlarged and the US report said moderate to sever fatty liver.

So I also worry I have cirrhosis and its only a matter of time before it makes itself apparent.

It took 2 years of no booze before I really felt better. The blood could be a sore or ulcer, or even a broken capillary. I think the upper endoscopy is a good idea. I just had one (for heartburn).
Also, why are you putting your fingers down your throat? thats not a good idea and that could be the cause of the blood
Yes, But the thought troubles me a lot.

Thanks, Jon.