Liver Disorders Community
High ALT, AST, GGT levels - nothing else wrong in blood work

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

I recently had a blood/urine test for a life insurance policy.  Everything on the tests was good except for my liver enzyme levels.  My AST was 148, ALT was 294, and GGT was 70.  It's a mystery to me.  I do not drink alcohol and the blood work was negative for HIV, Hep C, and Hep B.  I have felt more tired in the last six months than normal, but nothing that has necessarily restricted my lifestyle.  I did have one fainting episode with a moderately strenuous workout at the gym.  Any ideas?
What has your doctor said?
The fact that your blood work, aside from these markers, is normal really isn't all that unusual. These number suggest a liver problem and perhaps your Bilirubin would be elevated but not necessarily.
There are autoimmune liver diseases - Autoimmune Hepatitis, Primary Biliary Cirrhosis and Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. I certainly don't suggest that you have any of these but they do cause enzyme elevation.
Drugs can also cause elevations in liver enzymes - cholesterol medication, too much acetaminophen for instance and other drugs as well.
There is also Hemachromatosis (too much iron) and Wilson's Disease and other diseases that I can't think of or don't know about.
I do think that you should have follow up studies to determine the cause of your enzyme elevations. I would expect your physician to want to have further testing and  additional blood tests may rule out some of the possibilities.
Good luck,
Mike