Liver Disorders Community
High Ammonia Levels

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

High Ammonia Levels

My mother has cirrohsis and has ascites and is struggling with high ammonia levels.  She is being treated with lactolose and for now it is bringing her levels down.  She reached 102 a few days ago and the lactolose has returned her level to 54.  I am trying to find out how how and ammonia level can go before it is considered toxic and will cause her to go into a coma?  I am also wondering in advanced cirrohsis will the lactolose eventually be uneffective in bringing down the ammonia levels?  My final question is what kind of life expectancy is there when the cirrohsis reaches the level that she is at?
Avatar n tn
My husband also has cirrohsis and he has ascites and has high ammonia levels. He has been on the laculose for 6 weeks and it is at 95 right now. He also is on the antibotic (antibiotic) for bacteria infection in the stomach and intestines. Does your mother chill? I would also like to find out how much longer he has.
Ladies I cant tell you how much more time either of your loved ones have left. With Cirrhosis I doubt that anyone would dare make a guess. I can however tell you that a healthy amonia (ammonia) level should be 11-35. Also there is a fairly new drug available that I take instead of the lactulose called "Xifaxan" It has been working very well for me over the past 8 months. Perhaps get your doctors opinion about it. Also you can probably do a google search to determine the levels of "toxicity amonia (ammonia)" to help with your other questions. If you need further help with it just make another post or write me an email and i'll be glad to research it more for either of you. God Bless you and your loved ones.

Randy
Avatar n tn
My mother has cirrohsis and has ascites and edema. Her ammonia levels have been above 145 for several days.  She was hospitalized and given lactolose which brought her levels down to 52 and she was released.  
she has continued to take the Lactolose for the past two weeks but today her ammonia level is 150.  I would like to find out how high ammonia level can go before it is considered toxic and will cause her to go into a coma?  I am also wondering in end stage cirrhosis will the lactolose eventually be uneffective in bringing down the ammonia levels?  My final question is what kind of life expectancy is there when the cirrohsis remains at that level?
Dee1956 NEW SURVEY, top of page, pl... Comment
10356, and Dee1956 commented on VICourageous's status
10356 commented on stilltrying1965's status
Track your weight over time