Liver Disorders Community
High Direct Bilirubin, Normal Total Bilirubin

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Hello, I recently had blood work done and had the strange results of high d. bilirubin (direct bilirubin, I presume) and normal total bilirubin. My results for the whole hepatic panels are as follows:

Total bilirubin        0.99
D. bilirubin            0.44
Total protein          7.3
ALT (SGPT)          30
ALK PHOS           52
AST (SGOT)         26
ALBUMIN             4.9

My direct bilirubin has consistently been high - I had blood work done yesterday (the results above), a week ago, and five eyars ago and ALL showed high direct bilirubin. Any ideas as to what could be causing it? I also got bloodwork done if any of those results wouldbe helpful, THANKS!
Tags: bilirubin, high direct bilirubin, High bilirubin
total bilirubin is under 1 so its still normal, isn't it?
some labs consider up to 1.6 normal, some up to 1.2.

What did the doctor think about this?
The reference range I generally see for direct bilirubin is 0 to 0.3 mg/dL though I have also seen the upper range of direct bilirubin as low as .2 mg/dL.
Direct bilirubin is associated with liver function and yours is elevated.
Has your doctor ever ordered any further tests on the basis of your direct bilirubin?
Frequently when doctors see lab results that might indicate a liver problem they will initially run viral hepatitis tests (Hep A, B and C) to rule out the possibility of a viral hepatitis infection.
Gallstones can also cause an elevated direct bilirubin by blocking the flow of bile. If your doctor believes that is a possibility imaging studies might be helpful and they're non-invasive.
Basically when an elevated direct bilirubin is seen it suggests a liver issue.
I do not know how much of an elevation constitutes a threat but I think yours is something that should be discussed with your doctor.
I wouldn't panic if I were you but I would want to see my doctor and get this resolved.
I want to make it clear that I am not involved in the medical profession in any way. I am just a patient who had liver disease so keep that in mind when you consider what I posted.
I hope you update us when you get any new information.

Good luck,
Mike
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Normal levels of bilirubin are Total bilirubin: 0.3 to 1.9 mg/dL. Direct (also called conjugated) bilirubin: 0 to 0.3 mg/dL. Indirect (also called unconjugated) bilirubin: 0.2 to 0.7 mg/dL. So, if these values are persistently raised it needs to be determined, why they are raised. This is done with the help of blood tests, ultra sonogram and if need be, biopsy of liver will help to clinch the diagnosis. If you can get back to me with the diagnosis, I will be able to elaborate further.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I just had blood work done on 3/22/12
protein  6.9
albumin, serum  4.1
bilrubin, total 1.5
bilirubin, direct 0.36
alkailine phos  45iu/l
ast(sgot)         26ui/l
alt (sgpt)          20ui/l

my doc. told me my total bilrubin was mildly abnormal. and ordered me a ultralsound, I do have pain on my right side by my ribs, and in my middle of my abdomin (abdomen). I had my galbladder removed 4 yrs ago so that cant be it, you said a normal total bilirubin is 1.9 but my doctors says thats high? so whats that suppose to mean, my pancreus blood work came back normal. and a stool sample for bacteria came back neg. I am burping alot, but the pain on my right side feels like it did when my galbladder was acting up? any answers
Did u ever get a clear diagnosis? I seem to have same exact issues and can't get any real answers...
What i can do now ?
Assume you're still having the elevated direct bilirubin? With DB being water soluble, have you noticed any transient, dark urine episodes? Would be an indication of very high DB and/or TB levels that have not been captured in any of your lab tests. It's unusual that your ALP, ALT & AST levels remain so normal - no hints there.
I don't see anything in your post to go by.
I looked at your profile and apparently the above post is your only post at MedHelp and there is no information in it.

Mike