Liver Disorders Community
High Liver enzymes

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

High Liver enzymes

Hi, I was diagnosed with high GGT (226) AST in the 80's and ALT in the 70's in January of this year.  I am a 54 yo woman and I was drinking an excessive amount of wine on weekends only for the past few years.  I have now discontinued any alcohol, for over 2 months.  My GGT only lowered to 154 and my ALT and AST are about the same or even a tiny bit higher.
I had an ultrasound and the tech told me my results were so good I should go and "sign a donor card".  Dr confirmed all looked well in the organs...but still very high readings..I am now in a panic!! Add to this a husband with terminal cancer and I am starting to come unhinged! Help anyone??
Have you ever been tested for hep C? Just a guess, but that is how I found out I had it. I say had because it is treatable and mine has been cured. Its a simple blood test to find out. Its worth looking into.
No need to panic yet though.
Hi there, thank you for naswering.  Yes I was tested for all of the Hep viruses and all came out negative. This has been going on since the  beginning of January,and although the GGT came down, the ALS and ALT remain around the same or even a tiny bit higher than in Jan.
my liv enyme levels wer two times hgher than you.
i lost weight in 3 months and they became normal.if you are overweight, try to loose some weight and test again.
Get a referral to see a hepatologist or gastroenterologist at a teaching hospital near you. They are the only one who can give you a correct diagnosis and the they can suggest treatment to stop or slow down further damage to your liver.

GGT measures the amount of GGT in the blood stream. Abnormally low or high amounts can signify bile duct obstruction, bone disease and alcohol abuse to name a few. As a general rule of thumb, the higher the elevation of GGT that is present, the more indication that there may be liver damage.

Ultrasound is not used to measure the status of your liver's health so you shouldn't be fooled into thinking it can determine the degree or cause of your liver disease. You need a biopsy to know the status of your liver disease.

See a liver specialist now before your illness gets worse.

Hector
Thank you for your answer.  I am praying for your recovery and have been following your posts.  

I live in a very rural area and do not have access to teaching facilities or specialists at all.  The closest are 6 hours from here. With a husband who is very sick and does not know about my condition, I am having a very hard time determining what I should do.

To 6man6..thank you also for your answer.  I am about 8 pounds over where I should be, but really within the weight range.  The weird thing for me is that last April I was tested and everything was perfect.  This January was when the tests showed high.  
Just got my results today for last testing and GGT 120, ALT 81 AST 50...still way too high!! I am very concerned
Hi! My GGT was 950 and had jaundice & did blood tests for all types of hepitatis & they all came negative. I went for the scan to see if there are gal bladder stones & there was nothing. They did more blood tests for liver functions & my GGT was evwn more high 980. The doctor said I had a kissing disease & they treated that. After a week being in hospital my GGT has gone to 460 & I was discharged a month ago but I still have to go see a doctor on the 14th of April to check my GGT but my jaundice has gone now.