Liver Disorders Community
Is My Liver ok?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Is My Liver ok?

Hello I was sent here to ask this question, I am being treated for a herniated dics, bulging disc, pain in nerve thus causing fibromyalgia.  For the most part, I have been able to use natural methods but extreme temps, an injury or now a cyst or mass on my ovary is causing pain.  Level can be up to 8.  Anyway, for 5 days of ovulation if it's bad, the doctor will treat me with lortab 10/500 and sometimes tramadol. August was very painful in the heat and swelling, so it was both medications.  My question about acetaminophen.  Since for the 5-7 days I may be at the max dosage for both which is rare but yes for October and now looks like September too! Is this going to cause liver damage?  Just because  I dont overdose doesn't mean that it can't hurt the liver.  I took a tylenol yesterday because I didn't realize Tylenol was acetaminophen!  I've been having anxiety attacks all day worrying that my liver will begin to shut down.  The high dosages haven't been two months straight: just like two weeks per month with the last week being a kind of taper down.  I've stayed on the tramadol for the lingering pains of FM.  But I'm worried about the tylenol yesterday.  Should I stop taking everything?  Is there a chance my liver is crying out for help?!  I calculated the dose would have been 3700mg.  I think! If anyone can give me some peace of mind about the liver that would be great.  They did a panel a few months back just to check things since I have thyroid issues too, and everything was fine.  But, online I read stories of people dying from tylenol!!!!! Scared!!!
This isn't a hep c forum - this is the "Liver Disorders" forum so your question is OK.

This is from:

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/Acetominophen.pdf

"...The following tips can help prevent acetaminophenrelated
liver toxicity:
• Do not take more than the recommended dose of 4 grams
within a 24-hour period (for example, 12 regular strength or 8
extra strength Tylenol tablets)
• Do not take the full day’s dose at one time; space it out over
the course of the day
• Do not take acetaminophen for more than 10 days in a row
• Avoid drinking alcohol; this is important for people with
hepatitis whether or not they use acetaminophen
• People who do consume 2-3 alcoholic drinks per day
should not take more than half the usual recommended dose
of acetaminophen (2 grams within 24 hours)
• People with advanced liver fibrosis or cirrhosis should avoid
acetaminophen
• Write down how much acetaminophen you take, and when,
if you have trouble remembering
• Check the labels of all medications; small doses of
acetaminophen in combination remedies can add up to big
trouble."

In my opinion your dose of 3700 mg was probably OK depending on your alcohol intake. I think you'd be better off trying to get by with less but that is something best resolved by consultation with your doctor.

I'm not a doctor or in the medical profession in any capacity so bear that in mind when you consider my opinion. I'm just a patient who had liver disease.

Good luck,
Mike
Hi, this is the Hep-C forum, you need to check out one of the other forums here it would seem............ Best to you,and good luck
Like can-do said, this is a hep C forum.

If you're really worried about your liver, ask your doctor to do a blood test, run some labs to see how well your liver is functioning now.

Good luck.

Thanks, i'm sorry y'all i'm running around trying to find the right forum! thanks for your patience!

This is from:

liver toxicity:
extra strength Tylenol tablets)
the course of the day
acetaminophen
if you have trouble remembering
trouble."

Good luck,
Mike
Thank you so much! This really helps.  I don't drink and I did space out the dosages!  I'm now just not taking the loritab 10/500 and probably won't touch it again unless dr would treat with 10/325 or whatever it is.  Sometimes the pain is so unbearable i can't walk! I work out too so I you're right I'm probably ok.  Really did calm my nerves! Thanks again!
Dee1956 commented on Belle313's status
spider6 ....man, it is dead around ... Comment
May 27
10356 commented on msdelight's status
May 26
Track your weight over time