Liver Disorders Community
Is a biopsy the next step?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Is a biopsy the next step?

Hello - I'm a 31 year old male with crohn's disease and recent history (past 4 to 6 months) of consistent mild elevation in liver enzymes AST and ALT.  Not sure but I suspect the doctor will recommend biopsy since the lab work continues to be a bit off. I'm wondering if I should get a liver biopsy.  I had an MRI abdomen/pelvis about 6 monhts ago for crohn's issues and the liver was noted on the report as unremarkable. (Would an MRI negate further studies? Would it negate an ultrasound?)  

Other than the past few monhts of elevated enzymes, the only other time that a test has shown such results was a few years ago when I had about six days of high fever (coming on in afternoon and breaking during the night) - up to 104. Liver tests were all elevated in AP and AST ALT (200 range for these).  They never knew the source of the fever, but it was assumed to be chrons related.  However, a CT taken at that time showed mildely englarged liver and spleen.

Would a liver biospy be useful? Or an ultrasound? Just checking to see if anyone has thoughts.
A liver biopsy is the ultimate test for liver health. An MRI and CT are mere starting points.
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
10356 commented on VICourageous's status
Jul 24
10356, and Dee1956 commented on 10356's status
Jul 24
Track your weight over time