Liver
I have just obtain my bllod test report today. In LFT, it indicated that GGT is 165 IU/L over the range of 7-32. Why it is so high?

My other reading were normal and within the range, SCPT(ALT) is 38 IU/L, SGOT(AST) is 28 IU/L, Alkaline Phos 115 IU/L, Total Bilirubin 9 UMOL/L, A/G ratio is 1.4, Globulin is 3 G/L, Albumin is 44 G/L and Total protein is 76 G/L.

I am not a alcohol drinker and not under any medication. Can you advise plse?

Is your doctor concerned? What does she/he say?
Are they going to do furthering testing?
Do you have COPD or diabetes? Elevated GGT levels may be caused by these conditions and congestive heart failure.

GGT is usually used to determine the cause of an elevated alkaline phosphatase (ALP). It is used in combination with other liver related blood tests. GGT is increased in most diseases that cause acute damage to the liver or bile ducts but is usually not helpful in distinguishing between different causes of liver damage. For this reason, use of GGT is controversial, and guidelines published by the National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry and the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases do not recommend routine use of GGT. These guidelines suggest that it can be useful in determining the cause of a high ALP.

Hector
Thanks Hector.

Well, the doctor says its not an issue. This is because the others testing on liver (as highlighted above) are normal. I also do not have COPD nor Diabetes.  He suggested that I should just monitor my diet ONLY. Is that i should do only?

I am 48 age and my cholestrol level is a bit high:
Total cholestrol is 6.5MMOL/L , HDL is1.72 MMOL/L, LDL is 4.2 MMOL/L, Triglycerides is 1.3 MMOL/L and total ratio/HDL is 3.8.

Is this my concern? Please advise
What type of doctor is this?
A GI (digestive system) or hepatologist (liver) specialist?

I am afraid I am out of my depths as I have never heard of a high GGT alone occurring in liver disease.

Your Total Cholesterol level according to the American Heart Association is HIGH. Meaning you have twice the risk of coronary heart disease. About 17% of adults are in this cholesterol level.

LDL cholesterol level 160 to 189 mg/dL (4.10 to 4.85 mmol/l) is High.

Triglyceride level less than 150 mg/dL (1.69 mmol/l) is Normal.

I hope you are being treated for your high cholesterol. You don't want to wait until you have a heart attack or stroke.
Have you seen a cardiologist?

You might want to post your Cholesterol levels in the Cholesterol Community.

Good luck!
Hector