Liver Disorders Community
Liver Adenomas & Symptoms & What Next?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Liver Adenomas & Symptoms & What Next?

Last Friday I received a phonecall from a GP (Doctor) advising that I have liver lesions or adenomas. This is a result of a CT scan I had last week.  The previous week I had an ultrasound scan which led to the CT scan.  The GP told me that I would be getting an MRI Scan but over a week later I have heard nothing -  I live in the UK.  I have phoned the hospital and was told that my CT scan results suggest "consideration should be given to an MRI scan" so it is up to my GP to refer me for the MRI.  However that is not what the Doctor told me on the phone.  At this stage all I know is that my diagnosis is several lesions/adenomas however I don't know how many or what size these are.  This all started incidentally as a result of a Well Woman clinic appointment in May in which I had a blood test taken for cholesterol.  The results of this test showed that my Gamma GT levels were raised to 86 which I was told is not that significant, albeit raised.  Normal levels are around 36 I was told.  A further blood test showed the same.  My GP was reluctant to send me for an ultrasound and told me he could not understand why I was feeling tired and lacking in energy, however he did request the ultrasound.

In relation to symptoms I have been feeling tired and lacking in energy for quite a few months now, have bloating of my abdomen and have a cramping or stabbing stomach pain periodically, also I have a sensation that something is pressing on my bladder because I want to constantly urinate, feeling thirsty all the time, feeling nauseous in the early mornings, sore knuckles on my right hand in the early hours too and occasional diarrhoea.  I have been on oral contraceptives for in excess of 20 years and had labyrinthitis and vertigo last year as a result of a recurring ear infection.  In 2002 I had a colonoscopy & endoscopy for stomach problems however these procedures revealed nothing. Two weeks ago I started with backache on my left lower side and it has not gone away which is unusual for me. A recent blood test also showed that over 6 months ago I had experienced Toxoplasmosis - I was in Kerala, India in November 2010 and was bitten by leeches as a result of trekking thru' the rainforest - I don't know whether there is a corelation here?.  I own dogs also. Two weeks ago I had a small growth removed from my shoulder that was biopsied and turned out to be Basal Cell Carcinioma.  

What I would like to know firstly is whether the symptoms I am experiencing are all attributable to these liver lesions?  Secondly, if the GP chooses not to send me for an MRI what does this suggest?  I have read quite alot about this condition on the internet and am aware that adenomas are quite rare and are usually benign, sometimes adenomas can rupture and haemorrhage if large and sometimes they can become malignant.  I have an appointment with a consultant in Gastroenterology in the next two weeks and hope he will make this all clearer for me.  I am trying to take an informed but pragmatic view of my situation at this stage (well as best I can with the very limited information I have).  I have not received any news yet that should suggest I should be concerned.  However, advice would be appreciated please.  Believe it or not I am generally healthy too!