Liver damage/disease
My liver panel tests and ggt were normal along with a normal ultrasound but someone told me you can still have liver damage with normal results. I am confused and scared.

Do you have a reason to worry? Your history would be helpful and offers us some insight.
Sorry for the delay. I am a concerned sister writing for my brother. About 10 years ago my brother suffered from trauma and I felt he was drinking too heavily to cope. About 2 years ago, he cleaned up his act and started therapy. He had a liver function panel, ggt and Cbc and everything was well in normal range. Since then he has cut back dramatically and exercises daily. Last year he had another Cbc, platelets were normal. Six months ago he had an ultrasound and liver was normal. I am still concerned that his damage may be cumulative and he should abstain completely but he said everything was good and he still is going to therapy and a light drinker. I still worry, is he right?
Fortunately the liver has amazing healing abilities. Even if he was able to do some real damage, chances are that his liver would recover, once the drinking stopped. It usually takes a decade or more of heavy drinking to cause advanced alcoholic liver disease. There is a more acute form of damage called alcoholic hepatitis, but this usually forces the use of medical assistance or hospitalization, so it would have been obvious if your brother had developed this.

Hoping all is well now, as indicated by the imaging and blood work. Take care!