Liver disease and Medroxyprogesterone
I am really trying to see if my sister's condition has anything to do with her being given this shot. Last time she was given it was April 2013, she is currently in the hospital fighting for her life!! So with all the warnings about if you have a liver disease you shouldn't be taking this shot and the doctors are advising her liver isn't functioning and for it to be as far gone as it is, if she had come to hospital a year ago they wouldn't have been able to do anything!! So how is it that she was still given this shot? What type of testing is provided to verify you don't have any issues with your liver before going forward? PLEASE HELP!! Thanks, eldest sis
When the liver is compromised, the levels of some of the enzymes in the blood will almost always be elevated. So the type of testing for liver issues is through regular bloodwork.

You will never know if the shot was directly linked to the liver failure. As with everything else that's alive, not two livers are exactly the same. Some are tougher, some are weaker, some are regularly abused by their owners, etc... And it's almost never a single thing that 'knocks it out'. Only one thing is certain: medroxyprogesterone did not help the liver situation at all.

But in general, most livers can endure quite a lot, and have great regenerating capabilities (better then skin). In many cases, the only thing a liver needs is to stop being abused.
Thank you so much for your response. Since I wrote this, we have gotten biopsy results back advising her liver tested positive for Fatty Liver, Alcoholism & Autoimmune deficiency!! She is also now having issues with her kidneys and due to her not being able to hold down any fluids or solids, all is either going straight through her or regurgitated, we're also asking for her to be tested for Crohn's disease. Which would just be one more thing!! My thought after research is that somewhere before the last shot given in April, that it should have shown through labs, that she was having an issue with her liver and to stop the shot, which could assist which escalating matters.