Liver Disorders Community
Liver pain, fat and lesions terrified

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Liver pain, fat and lesions terrified

I have had a burning itching pain on my right side for about 4 months, doc referred me for Ultrasound for gallstones. No gall stones but liver showed fatty deposits and lesions which the doc said needed another scan to rule out anything nasty. Liver blood test came back ok. I had an emdoscopy last monday which was ok. Am waiting for a further ultrasound with contrast and then an appointment with a gastroenterologist. I'm terrified that I have cancer, my GP hasn't said much aboout it all only that they've referred me to hospital. Would they leave me waiting 3 weeks for a scan if they thought it was cancer? I'm geting myself in a right state not knowing. My pain is also getting worse, not sure if that's with stress as it seems to have gotten worse since all this kicked off. Any helpful words would be greatly appreciated
I have no idea about you condition but went through a similar situation. It was my heart.  They kept doing different tests and then I had a similar waiting period before another test.  I was terrified.  They could not tell me anything because they did not know anything for sure.  The odds were with me at that point.  Our minds take us to extremes when we get into these positions.  Hang in there. Keep posting.  This is not for sissies.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Depending upon the echogenicity, the borders and the shadows created a near correct diagnosis can be made with imaging studies. This is again correlated with the liver function tests. Lesions which can cause similar pictures are tumors, cysts and sometimes hemangiomas. If there is a doubt then a liver biopsy may be needed. Again a follow up may be mandatory to see for changes in the lesion.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for your reply. I am normally healthy and my blood test for liver came back ok.  We have no history of cancer in the family.  I have had extensive endometriosis for which I have had a total hysterectomy.  I know its rare but could the lesions be linked to endometriosis?  Also if the lesions are mets that have spread from somewhere else I've had no symtoms (symptoms) except upper right quadrant abdominal pain.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It’s unlikely that the lesions in the liver could be due to endometriosis. The imaging studies do show liver metastasis as typical shadows and are usually multiple lesions. However, the imaging appearances of liver metastases are nonspecific, and biopsy specimens are required for histologic diagnosis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.