Liver Disorders Community
Menu suggestions for fatty liver disease?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Hi, my husband was recently diagnosed with fatty liver disease. Does anyone have any menu suggestions for us or a list of good and bad foods?  Thanks!
Tags: Liver, fatty, menu, food
Hi, I would be interested in this same thing. I have fatty liver disease as well & the doctors don't give you much to go on. This is a great question & I'll be watching the responses you get.
Take care
Chevy1
I have also been told I have fatty liver.  I was told to loose weight and to decrease fatty foods.  However that seems to be a catch all response.  Will keep in touch if I hear, read or find anything else.
My gastro suggested the south beach diet for my NASH.
I have had "Fatty Liver Disease" for over 10 years. Now a recent ct scan has shown that I have Granulomatous Disease of the liver, lungs and spleen.

So, I have been doing some research on liver disease. I have familial hypertriglyceridemia and cholesterolemia. My super high triglycerides is what caused my fatty liver. At one time my tris were >2000. I cannot tolerate the medicine to lower my triglycerides.

I do know that any fat you eat instantly causes your liver to produce bile, because bile breaks down or helps metabilize fats. This can cause trouble for some people with related disorders of the gastro system, like duodenal ulcers. Bile can also reflux like, and with stomach acid, into your esophagus. I have Barrett's Esophagus, which is a precancerous condition of the esophagus, usually starting at where the esophagus and stomach merge, or the GE junction.

Folks with Fatty Liver shouldn't smoke, drink and should not be overweight. You should also watch your triglycerides.
This should be helpful.

Reduce the consumption of refined carbohydrates from sugar and bread, pastry, pasta, noodles, cakes, biscuits and desserts. Increase the amount of raw fruits and vegetables

Use raw vegetable juices Lots of fresh vegatables and fruit are good. If the produce is limited to the season frozen vegies are better than canned. If eating canned fruit look at the ingredients and the amount of sugar in it. They have a lot of light ones now.

Look for low fat low carb products.

Avoid deep fried, fatty, and processed foods

Aim to limit dairy foods including milk, processed cheese, cream and butter.  Opt for organic yogurt and cheese such as ricotta, parmesan or cottage. Try some different brands and varieties of soy as they vary greatly. The fresh soy products in the dairy cabinet are much lighter and not as strong in taste as the long life products. There are also rice milks and oat milks to try.

Avoid ALL margarines and similar type spreads.  
Avoid sugary processed foods and drinks

Limit chicken and turkey that is not free range as this contains artificial growth hormones, antibiotics and steroids that increase the liver's workload. It is hard to buy everything organic but try to when you can. It is best to avoid red meats as they have more fat and harder for the liver to digest. Buy lean cuts of meat. Don't eat the skin of poultry it is fat.

Drink 2 liters of water each day.