Liver Disorders Community
Mother with End-Stage liver failure

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Mother with End-Stage liver failure

My mother has been a drug addict and alcoholic for her whole life, she has Hep B and C.. Lately she has been in the hospital for high amonia (ammonia) levels which are causing her to be delusional.  (she has brain damage from the drugs as it is so this makes her behavior worse).  The doctors only told me she has end-stage liver failure.  I do not know what medications she are on but i know she is taking one to keep her living functioning and with out that medication it will stop.  The doctor told me "this will be her demise"  I am only 18 and just started college I am not sure how long she is going to have left, the doctor never told me a prognosis..  she has had an extended abdomen for mulpitple years now, and her skin is yellow...

I am not sure if anyone can help me with this... and information would be greatly appricatied, this is a lot for me to take in.  

Thank you.
Hi, I am a hospice nurse. Don't let the word scare you, it tends to have a negative connotation. As a hospice we help not only the patients but the families. Have you thought about talking to your mother about one or asking the doctors about further information? Hospices can guide you through all the processes as 18 is a very young age for you to be going through this. What Hospice does as try to make life as easy as we can for the patient and the family. Even if your mom does not have that much longer, Hospice can still do a lot of good in the last few days. What's more is Hospice will be there for you up to a year after your mom is gone for support and counseling. I would also ask the doctor or the Hospital about Advanced Directives and Power of Attorneys, and DNRs, they can explain those to you but are important documents to have in the end stages of life. I also encourage you to do research about support groups and Hospices, for the more you know the more empowered and back in control you will feel. Reach out to your support group as well during this time and let them know you need them right now. This website and the internet are here if you ever have any questions. I hope all this was said to you gently, I do know it was a lot to take in. Breathe deep and try to remember, that this too shall pass.

Sara RN
She is on lactalose for the ammonia levels and they started her on Interferon and the doctors said she would have about 3 year if she stays on the Interferon, but she is known for not taking her meds correctly and she will stop when ever she wants.. I realy do not know what to expect anymore.  
MH Community Mgr commented on Bubulous's status
spider6 commented on melimeli's status
May 03
Semat Hi this is nroml? there i... Comment
May 03
Track your weight over time