Liver Disorders Community
Numbness in upper right abdomen, mild burning

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

28 male here. About a month ago, I started getting this weird numbness in my upper right abdomen right where (I'm assuming) the liver/gallbladder would be. At times, I can not feel this area when I touch it. It is numb and tingles constantly.

When I'm sitting down for too long, it will start to ache and I will have to get up and walk around. This helps the ache go away temporarily but it always comes back.

Also, I will get a burning sensation in the same area when I move too fast or stretch. It will only last about 2 or 3 seconds and then it goes away. Going from the lying down position to sitting up seems to be the worst to trigger this pain.

I've also felt alot more tired lately and feel like I have no energy. Is it possible this is gallstones? I've done a bit of research and this seems to be the most likely scenario. Sadly, I am without health insurance right now so going to the doctor isn't really possible at the moment.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your time.
The pain went away for a couple days last week and then came back again. The dull ache and mild burning is still there. I have alot of gas and I'm belching frequently. I stopped drinking alcohol for the most part and am slowly changing my diet to eat healthier but it doesn't seem to help.

I don't have insurance so I'm scared if I go to the ER they will just tell me to lose weight or eat better. This has been going on for almost 2 months.

Anyone have any ideas?
Well, I'm not really sure about the numbness, but the tired/fatigued part kinda says liver. Without insurance, I suppose you could go to an urgent care place and get some blood tests done to check for Hepatitis A/B/C, your liver enzymes (called a liver panel) and maybe even Mono. But the gas and such is more gastro. If you've been drinking a long time, it could even be a fatty liver. I hear you about going to the ER and, quite frankly, if it is something serious,  you don't really want the diagnosis before you have insurance or you'll get screwed with all the pre-existing stuff. If you can get insurance, get it and just go straight to a gastroenterologist. He'll do tests a plenty.

Take care,
Nicole
I have the same feeling and also wonder what it is... It started about a month ago. I have an appointment with the Dr tomorrow..  
I finally went to the ER about 10 days ago. They did a blood test and ultrasound on my liver, gallbladder, and kidneys.

The doctor said the ultrasound looked fine. All my organs looked healthy and it wasn't gallstones.

Blood test results: they did say I had a high level of something (forget the name) in my liver and to cut back on drinking alcohol and only eat bland foods. They also gave me Dicyclomine 20mg tablets which I am supposed to take before meals 4x daily.

Well, it's been about 10 days and the pain/ache is still there. I really have no clue at this point and hopefully it's just one of those things that will go away by itself.

Sometimes when I get up and stretch it helps, but once I sit back down the ache comes back. I am supposed to follow up with a doctor they recommended me to, so I am trying to get on their patients-without-insurance plan in the meantime.

yea man I have the same issue and it really becomes prevelant when I workout.  Theres no pain associated but I certainly feel numb and Im a 21 year old male sitting at 9% bodyfat.  Personally I feel that it could be from all the alclohol I drink now or perhaps all the painkillers I abused in HS.
Hi there, I am having exactly the same problem and I cannot determine what it is. did you get the results on what was causing that? could you please help me?
thanks
Hi Jason.

I can relate to your problem. Am having something similar. I have, right or wrong, conclude that it is a combination of withdrawal symptoms and atherosclerosis that causes this phenomenon. Luckily, according to the Pritikin diet, atherosclerosis is reversible. When I was younger I could have a cup of tea without getting any pain in the liver area, after four to five hours. There are two remedies to this problem. One either quits caffeine, theobromine, alcohol, etc. or smothers the pain with an other cuppa or drink when the pain starts coming. The problem with the first remedy is that it can be a bit boring in the long run to be off 'the roller coaster'. The problem with the second remedy is that one may find oneself to gradually increase ones intake of ones preferred poison, which can lead to other problems like insomnia, diarrhea, constipation, jitternes, malnourishment, money drain, etc.

Rolf
Literally, I have exactly what you were dealing with. Same results, and the elevated value is ALT. US showed nothing. My pain get worse after long hours awake, random foods( spicy, hot, cold, fatty, and gassy). I am pretty intelligent registered nurse and cannot venture a good guess at this point. I though gastric ulcer, but the numbness is out of the ordinary, H2s did not help, nor do PPIs. Endoscopy was fine which completely killed the gastric ulcer thought.  I have colonoscopy in two days, and I hope they tell what it is; however, the aim of diagnostics is to rule things out.
If you are still out there jason28, please tell me what else you found, and I may do the same.
Spyderrico, curious to find out what your experience is.
I also have a numbness in my abdomen that started in Dec 2011. For the first 6 weeks there was numbness in parts of my legs, arms, and left toe. Everything resolved except the main numbness in the left abdomen, wrapping around from the back. I saw a neurologist who confirmed there was nerve damage to the intercostal nerve  but didn't know from what. He sent me away saying to come back if it got worse. It is nearly 3 years on, no better and no worse, varying a bit day to day but always there.

Would be really interested in your journey and what you find out,

Cheers,

Linlin
for anyone who has this problem and tests seem to show nothing there is a possibility it could be your psoas muscle, it is mostly a problem that effects people that sit down alot, office workers etc..when this muscle becomes inflammed it can put pressure on the stomach as it runs underneath the stomach which can often give stomach symtoms (symptoms) to do with digestion, can also put pressure on nerves. it is a pretty big muscle that runs from the top of leg to the spine and bottom back rib,it can cause intense pain or dull discomfort in different spots over a large area, it can give many or multiple symptons anywhere near the whole length of this muscle, left or right side..if all other avenues fail it is just a possibility...paul
I have had pain in my stomach only when is sit down. i dont drink  nor smoke. And my jpb requires me to be on my feet alot.  Also, lately ive been having numbness in my upper left quadrant. .
Have you had nay more? Strangely, I have had pain in m,y left side when I sit down only. But it goes away once I stand. Also, I have been having numbness lately as well.