Liver Disorders Community
Pain in liver and right chest after drinking....

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

I'm 23 yr old male and I'm in good health except for this one issue. Whenever I drink at night, starting next day I get pain in my right chest and liver area. There is a dull pain in both areas. I usually drink once a week but drink somewhere between 5 to 10 beers. This has been happening since one night when I had way too much to drink that I actually threw up and I don't remember anything from that night. Ever since that night, every time i drink i get this pain. Few months ago I got my physical and all the blood tests were normal except for my AST which was 74 (normal is 10-45) and my ALT was normal. I got same test done recently but I'm waiting for results. The reason I'm worried is because I drank about 8 days ago and I started getting discomfort in my liver area with chest pain intermittently. This pain used to go away in couple of days but this time I still have it and its spreading it seems like. After about 4 days of liver area pain, I started feeling the pain all over my right abdomen(mostly upper). Then I started feeling just a little nauseas but no vomiting has occurred yet. Today, I started passing lot of gas in the afternoon and at night I started feeling just a LITTLE fever coming on. Chest pain is still there.

I've been reading a lot about liver disease from alcohol abuse and there are many levels from fatty liver to cirrhosis; from mild to deadly. There is also a possibility of gallstones or pancreas inflammation. I just don't know what it could be and I'm getting really worried that I might have permanantly scarred and damaged my liver(cirrhosis). BTW, I've not drank alcohol since last time and I don't plan to for a very long time until I know for a fact that its safe to drink again. I'm not alcoholic, its just my lifestyle that forces me to drink but I'm changing all that.

What do you guys think? Is it possible to have pain only after drinking when I have gallstones or is it liver damage? How serious do you think this is? You opinion is greatly appreciated. I'm planning to goto doctor's as soon as I get an appointment but I need to know something before I do that so that I can talk to him about it. Also, is it safe to do natural liver and gallbladder detox with these symptoms or is it going to damage my liver even more?
I am sure considering your age you are probably all right but i have to tell you that my husband is 47 we have a 6 year old and a 20 year old son. He is dying from cirrhosis.  We used to drink and have lots of fun together but the drinking increased and now he can not quit even though death is in his furture from it.  Is drinking worth it?  At you age you should learn how to have fun with out it.  You will live alot longer and your children won't have to see you dye young from it.