Liver Disorders Community
Pain under right ribs

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Pain under right ribs

I had severe pain under my right ribs, they took out my gallbladder.  I am still having the pain.  I went back to the surgeon and they did blood work.  The Dr. said the pain was coming from my liver but all the blood work came back normal. He also told me prior to having my gallbladder removed that my spleen was slightly enlarged.  What could be causing the pain??  Are there other test that I should have done??
I had my gallbladder out in 99 when my rib pain started.  The doctor I was seeing took a long time to diagnos that my gallbladder ecentually wasn't working.  So after the surgery the surgain said the ducts where more inflammed than they thought and there would be "discomfort" from the scar tissue in the bile ducts.  They also saw a fatty liver which accounted for the high liver ensime test.  The rib pain though has stedilly been getting worse.  But the questions I've been putting to these doctors is are the bile ducts with all the scar tissue in them and the slugging caused by the fatty liver clogging the ducts thus backing up the bile in the liver?  There is a test called MRCP that looks at the ducts but I can't seem to convince the doctors to give me one.  So I joined this forum for some insight.  Web MD says that the only true way to diagois fatty liver is with a biopsy which I've never had. So the doctors are relying on the blood tests and the surgions observations.  I fyour doctor can't see anything wrong with your liver ensiums than I don't see how he can say it's your live causing it.  These are just my opinions guy and to coin a fraise "I feel your pain".
I agree with you.  If all blood test come back normal, it can't be my liver.  I have heard different people say that it could be caused by the bile ducts or something like that.  I wish I knew where to look that up.  Any other info would greatly be appreciated.
And Tim,

It may not be your liver at all. Have they checked pancreatic function? I had my gallbladder removed in 2000 and then in 2001 had several right shoulder pain. Pulled a muscle, right? Wrong! Turns out that pancreas ducts had wrong pressures and I was diagnosed with Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction with the main symptom being referred pain to my right shoulder. No blood test can diagnose. Takes a good doc, persistence and MRI and possible lap surgery.

PS you don't want a liver biopsy unless you really need one. I've had 3 and they're no picnic. Blood work will really indicate whether or not you really need the biopsy.
Take care.
I'm not sure if they can tell about the pancreatic function through blood test or not.  He did go back and look at my scan, that he did prior to removing my gallbladder and he said he didn't see anything abnormal. I don't have insurance and can't afford to go to the dr for them to put me through a bunch of tests, but I really want this pain gone.  I read up on the Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction that you mentioned, that sounds more like my symptons.  But what do you have to do to get a dr. to check it out (they know more than I do, heehee)?
Thanks for you comments!!
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
Jun 26
10356 commented on dominosarah's status
Jun 26
stilltrying1965 commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
Jun 26
Track your weight over time