Liver Disorders Community
Re: Fatty Liver

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Re: Fatty Liver

Recently I had a Biopsy done on my liver the end results were that I have fatty liver disease. the prognosis wer Steatohepatitis Grade 1,Stage 0.  Description are two frafments of a liver core biopsy that are tan to brown, 1.3cm in length with a dismeter of 0.1 and 0.3cm in length with a diameter of 0.1 cm. 7 portal tracts are identified within the liver biopsy. There is no significant inflammatory infiltrate seen. Macrovesicular steatosis is present in less that one-third of hepatocytes.  There are no findings indictative of an autoimmune process. Trichrome stain shows no significant fibroses. Reticulin is essentially unremarkable. PAS diastase and iron stains are negative./mec.

What I want to know is what exactly is fatty liver and does it lead to cirrosis (cirrhosis) of the liver?  
Google fatty liver.  This will tell you everything you need to know.  I do know that with a fatty liver you should follow a strict diet.
Yes fatty liver can lead to cirrhosis if the cause of the fatty liver is not discovered and stopped. Does your doctor know what is causing the fatty liver infiltration? This is necessary to prevent leading to cirrhosis. Fatty liver absent any liver scarring is completely reversible as long as the cause of the fatty liver is discovered.  For example if its from heavy alcohol consumption (which mine was) then abstaining from all alcohol is a must and the liver can heal in time.  The cause of the fatty liver has to be determined and stopped ,as well as a low fat diet is in order. Abstaining from all alcohol is a must. Good luck.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Fatty liver can be due to alcoholism when it is called Alcoholic fatty liver disease and the other one is Non alcoholic fatty liver disease, which is due to obesity, diabetes and high triglyceride levels. This can progress to cirrhosis of the liver and can be associated with hepatocellular carcinoma. So, prevention or cure is by avoiding alcohol and treating diabetes, obesity and high triglyceride levels. Liver function tests may further help with the evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I was diagnosed with a fatty and enlarged liver about three months ago (mid-April),  I had been experiencing some discomfort in my upper right abdomen, just under the rib cage, as well as lower in my pelvic area.  There was also two bruises that appeared at the side of my abdomen, which went awy in a week or so.  My doctor requisitioned an ultrasound and when the results came back, he told me that it showed I had a fatty liver and an enlarged liver due to alcohol excess,  He referred me to a gastroenterologist who had performed a colonoscopy on me a few months earlier, who sent me for liver function tests.  My ALT was slightly elevated at 75 and my ALT was just a tad above the normal range at 39.  For the last two months, I have almost completely stopped drinking, meaning 1 or 2 beers a week. My family doctor sent me for a second round of liver function tests two weeks ago (end of June). This time, all the liver enzyme labs all came back well within the normal range. My doctor was pleased and only said to keep abstaining and eventually, the fatty liver will reverse itself.  \\

What concerns me, though, is that I haven't had a second ultrasound yet, so I don't know whether or not the fat in my liver has decreased, increased, or stayed the same.  In two weeks, it will be three and a half months since the first ultrasound. Would it be too soon to expect the results of an ultrasound to be any different if my doctor agrees to have one done then?   Also, can an ultrasound usually detect whether or not there has been any ficrosis (scarring) of the liver?

Any feedback you care to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry