Liver Disorders Community
SGPT LEVEL

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

SGPT LEVEL

my SGPT level is high around 179 as per the test report, and i have been advised by the Doctor to control diet and not to use any medicine for the time being, the test will be repeated after week time if the level is not reduce than will go for medicine,
is it ok not to use medicine if the SGPT level is 179?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Yes, medications may not be needed now. The SGPT levels are elevated in liver disorders. Besides this they are also elevated in conditions like muscle injury and sometimes due to certain medications. If you do not have symptoms of liver disease like jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and fever, it is advisable for you to wait for now and repeat the test after four weeks to see how the levels are progressing.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Dr Anitha,
Thanks A lot for your advice, same my Doctor here told that what you have described here, i m following the instruction and sure i will repeat after some time, but now i am quite feeling better than before,

so nice of you Doctor
Thanks Again,
i have repeated the test again and it is same like 184 by now as it was 179 month before,
also lipid profile is 251 which is quite higher, still i am not on medications,
all liver related test such as, thyroid, hepatitis B,C, and abdominal ultrasound resulted normal with no fever but feverish feelings are there some time,
i really don't understand now to do what as Doctors here are not very familiar with this kind of problems as i guess,

would appreciate you guidance

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Persistently elevated liver enzymes could be an indication for liver biopsy. This is planned after correlating with imaging studies, clinical symptoms and other blood tests. As you do not symptoms of liver disease now, I would advise you to stop taking alcohol, if you do, and try to take Liv 52, which will help with regeneration of liver cells. And repeat the test after 8 weeks, to see how it is progressing.

For control of cholesterol, I can give the following suggestions.
Reduce the total fat content of your diet to <30% of calories. Of which of saturated fat<10% of calories, polyunsaturated fat <10% of calories and mono unsaturated fat <10% of calories. Increased dietary intake of fiber rich foods like oat bran will help. Diet should be rich in antioxidant vitamins found primarily in fruits and vegetables. Reduce energy intake to achieve ideal body weight.
Exercise regularly, it is multi beneficial in that besides helping to lose weight and reduce cholesterol levels, it reduces stress and helps improve blood supply to the heart.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.