SGPT levels high
I’m a 31yrs old male. I had a liver function test done after my SGPT levels were found to be high at 90. In the LFT also, my SGPT levels have come high at 73. Rest of the LFT is normal. I’ve tested negative for Hepatitis B & C.

I don’t drink and smoke or do drugs. My height is 5ft 8 inches and weight is about 81kgs. I exercise 1-2 times a week. My diet is slightly high on dairy products (milk, cheese, butter, whey protein supplement) but I also consume reasonable amount of vegetables and chicken. I have frequent throat infections every 45-60 days, (part of the reason is attributed to GERD by doctors) for which I’m treated with antibiotics.

What could be the possible reasons for my SGPT levels to be high? Does the high level of SGPT indicate my liver or heart is affected? Do I need to undergo further medical tests? Which ones would you advise?
Hello there,
It may be difficult to determine the exact cause of your symptoms without a complete clinical examination and work up. A minimally high SGPT indicates that your liver cells are inflamed. Viral hepatitis, alcohol and fatty liver all can cause elevated SGPT. In fatty liver there is fat in the liver, along with inflammation and damage. Only if this disease advances a person can develop cirrhosis .The process can stop and, in some cases, reverse on its own without specific therapy. Other causes of elevated SGPT are autoimmune liver disease and metabolic diseases like hemochromatosis.  It is important to get imaging tests of the liver and gallbladder, such as ultrasound scans or CAT scans or MRI scans done. It would have been really helpful if you had shared more information about your symptoms. A clinical correlation of test results is very important. It is suggested to discuss these test results with your attending doctor to have more idea about your illness. I hope it helps.
Best wishes and regards!