Liver Disorders Community
Stage 4 Cirrhosis Prognosis

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Stage 4 Cirrhosis Prognosis

I've been diagnosed with Stage 4 Cirrhosis & Hepatitus (hepatitis) (not B or C). I'm only a very social drinker but they said it's not caused by alcohol. I have no idea what this is all about but would really appreciate some info on what it is, means & what I can do about it.  Is Stage 4 the last stage? Help.
Chevy1
Tags: cirrhosis, 4, help, prognosis
Chevy1:     I am in a similar siuation. Non A,B or C..Never was one to drink. But I have Stage 4 or ESLD. I do not have fatty liver or NASH. So they are calling it Cryptogenic Liver Disease. Which means they don't know. I have been searching the web for answers. for over a year and still don't know any more than I did before. Except about how much worse it is going to get or may get.
Hope you find some answers or maybe something different to share with me. I would appreciate it.    cat
I failed to mention that stage for is the Last Stage or End Stage Liver Disease. All I am able to do is use the lactulose to clear my body of toxins, mainly ammonia (which can really do a job on your brain.) I have placed myself on a almost no protein diet because they are the main cause of ammonia build up.I eat mostly fruit ,vegetables , whole grains, nuts some cheese and lots of soy. I have been for an eveluation and am listed on the transplant list with a MELD score of 9. So far it is holding and I am feeling relatively well. Most of my medical problems would exist even it I didn't have a liver condition.  cat
I have stage 4 cirrhosis from hep C . I am fortunate that my liver and kidneys are functioing ok . I   have acitese and take diuretics and follow liquid restriction of 1500ml and 2400grms. of sodium . I had high ammonia levels in Feb. and was very ill . I'm doing fairly well most of the time . My liver is  too badly damaged and I could not live through the anti-viral treatment . Eventually I'm told a transplant is inevitable but luckily I'm not nearly sick enough to be considered for transplant , yet .

dickl
I have recently been told that I have advanced liver disease, portal hypertension, I was told that there was nothing they could do for me as I have a heart condition and Im diabetic. I don't drink and beleive that this has been caused by medications that I have been taking for many years that had a high salt content. (not taking them anymore).
At the moment I don't feel well at all and I do get some bleeding when I go to the toilet. I have had ct scans and ultrasound scans and all the obvious blood tests. Was offered a biopsy but the doc's said it would only confirm what they already know. Is there any hope or am I holding a bomb not knowing how long the fuse wire is.

Kingjasper some days I wish I knew how much time I was holding on to . What would make any difference. They really should however done a biopsy. I was told that was the only way to really diagnosis the stage. I do have hypertension, have had it for over 25 years, They also found out that I have a heart condition during my eveluation, which I never knew about. I told them I had taken excessive amounts of tylenol and ibuprofen for the past 25 years. They said it had nothing to do with my condition, just said , don't take any kind of otc anymore. Which really does not help the pain I have been in for the past ---years due to arthritis. I need to go in for a one year appointment for my unknown liver disease ....(see Dr.s don't know it all) in Oct. I am very scared because they are going to do the echocardiogram again. The past few months I have been very sedentary due to the numerous surgeries on my feet. Which are still messed up. Anyway the echo was the worst part of my eveluation. I don't believe that after sitting  around for four months  make me a great candidate for a heart test. Anyway kingjaspar go see a another Dr. they should do a biopsy or find out what is causing you to bleed. My opinion. Wishing you the best. Hope to hear from you soon .