Liver Disorders Community
TIPS

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

TIPS

I have had a TIPS proceedure back in 09, my health is improving, my liver is regenerating, but I am taking meds because of the TIP to help keep my amonia (ammonia) levels down, if my liver is regenerating and it comes to the point that the liver can do its job compeletely again, is there any proceedure that can remove the TIPS, what are my chances of being independentant of some of the medications that I am on because I have the TIPS?
Tags: Liver
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

TIPS is done to reduce the occurrence of ascites and variceal bleeding. Toxic substances in the bloodstream are ordinarily filtered out by the liver. The TIPS may cause too much of these substances to bypass the liver and hence may cause hepatic encephalopathy, in which case the stent may be blocked intentionally. Otherwise it is simply left to prevent complications due to portal hypertension.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
The primary purpose of the Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) procedure is to reduce portal hypertension. Complications of portal hypertension as mentioned above are hepatic encephalopathy, ascites, splenomegaly and variceal bleeding to name a few. Many other symptoms may stem from these primary conditions. TIPS does not ensure regeneration of the liver. Healthy diet, exercise and avoiding alcohol are key factors. Foods high in antioxidants are very beneficial to you.

Vitamin deficiencies are very commonly found in persons with liver disease so multivitamins can prove helpful. Milk thistle can be used for its antioxidant properties also to rejuvenate liver cells and support healthy liver function.

Since you have had the TIPS procedure I assume it's very possible for your liver to regenerate but in the meanwhile you should continue seeing your doctor on a regular basis for screening. This is critical to your condition and to prevent any further conditions from developing. Only your doctor would be able to tell you if or when you can eliminate certain medications based on your specific medical history.

I hope this helps you out. Take care.

Randy

Dee1956 commented on Dee1956's status
1 hr ago
Dee1956 commented on Jade59's status
Dee1956 commented on spider6's status
Track your weight over time