I accidentally overdosed yesterday on aspirin while trying to combat horrible headache, sickness, menstrual pain, etc all at once. I think it's a "therapeutic misadventure" where I ended up taking about 6-7g daily for two days instead of 4g. I was not trying to self-harm or get high. I didn't realize a bit too much could be so harmful. I felt nauseous and threw up then quit all the pills. When I read online this could poison my body and lead to liver failure I rushed to the hospital this morning (I live in Japan). After explaining my situation to the doctor, he said I'd be fine and that the liver is very strong. He only heard my story and listened to my stomach. I said I worried about my liver, worried about the throwing up, the overdose, and asked about stomach pumping, activated charcoal, etc. He insisted I was fine though my stomach hurt, gave me medicine for upset stomach, and agreed to do a blood test for liver function at my request. The results come in on Monday. I could have liver failure by then. Should I listen to him and not worry? I'd hate to have sudden liver failure from a stupid mistake though I tried to do the right thing. Help me please!
Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid and excess ingestion can cause an elevation of liver enzymes and sometimes jaundice. Excessive ingestion of Aspirin is more likely to increase the risk of bleeding than liver damage. So, have yourself evaluated for this. Also, with severe liver failure, its unlikely you would be without any symptoms. So, please don't worry.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.