Liver Disorders Community
Very high GGT (gamma glutamyl transferase)

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

My GGT (gamma glutamyl transferase) is 388. What could cause this? I do not drink alcohol and do not smoke. A few weeks ago I had some stomach pain and a feeling of nausea but not now. Those are my only symptoms. Any ideas?
Tags: very high GGT
"GGT and AP (Cholestatic Liver Enzymes)

High levels of GGT and AP hint at a possible blockage of the bile ducts, or of possible injury to, or inflammation of, the bile ducts. This type of problem is characterized by an impairment, or failure, of bile flow, which is known as cholestasis. This type of liver injury is known as cholestatic liver injury, and this type of liver disease is known as cholestatic liver disease. (Primary biliary cirrhosis, discussed in Chapter 15, is an example of a cholestatic liver disease.) Intrahepatic cholestasis refers to bile duct blockage or injury within the liver. Intrahepatic cholestasis may occur in people with primary biliary cirrhosis or liver cancer (see Chapter 19), for example. Extrahepatic cholestasis refers to bile duct blockage or injury occurring outside the liver. Extra­hepatic cholestasis may occur in people with gallstones.

When a blockage or inflammation of the bile ducts occurs, the GGT and AP can overflow like a backed up sewer and seep out of the liver and into the bloodstream. These enzymes typically become markedly elevated—approximately ten times the upper limit of normal.

GGT is found predominantly in the liver. AP is mainly found in the bones and the liver but can also be found in many other organs, such as the intestines, kidneys, and placenta. Therefore, elevated levels of AP will indicate that something is wrong with the liver only if the amount of GGT is raised as well. Keep in mind that, GGT can be elevated without AP being elevated, as GGT is a sensitive marker of alcohol ingestion and certain hepatotoxic (liver toxic) drugs. It should be noted that for unclear reasons, people who smoke cigarettes appear to have higher AP and GGT than nonsmokers. Also, levels of AP and GGT are most accurate after a twelve-hour fast. You are beginning to get an inkling of the complexities that arise when evaluating abnormal LFTs!

Normal levels of AP range from 35 to 115 IU/L and normal levels of GGT range from 3 to 60 IU/L. Some causes of elevated AP and/or GGT include the following:

• Primary biliary cirrhosis

• Primary sclerosing cholangitis

• Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)

• Alcoholic liver disease

• Liver tumors

• Drug-induced liver disease

• Gallstones"

From:  http://www.liverdisease.com/liverenzymes_hepatitis.html

I hope this information helps. What does your physician say about your GGT? Is you Alkaline Phosphatase elevated too?

I think you should discuss this with your doctor Carl.

Good luck,
Mike
Thanks. I have an appointment on Monday.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

GTT (gamma glutamyl transpeptidase) is often elevated in those who use alcohol. But it is also elevated due to liver-toxic substances like paracetamol. It's likely that the medications you had used for the abdominal pain could have caused this elevation. Please re check these values to study their progression.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Two years ago I partied super hard on vacation.  My leg got really swollen.  When I got home I went to the doctor. I had a liver function test and it showed my gamma gt (ggt) to be 128.  The doctor said to stop drinking alcohol for 3 months and it would return to normal.  So, I stopped drinking for 3 months.

I got tested again after abstaining from alcohol for 3 months.  Now, my liver function tests showed gamma gt at 320!  So, I went for an ultrasound and it was negative for fatty liver.

For the next few years my gamma gt was elevated despite abstaining from drinking alcohol for months and months.

I concluded alcohol was not the reason for elevated liver enzymes like ggt.  So, I picked up a book for an 8 week liver cleanse diet.  I stopped eating fast-food, dairy, refined sugar products, and meats (except free range chicken).  I juiced everyday in the mornings and drank 3 litres of water a day.  After just completing 5 weeks of the diet, my gamma gt and all other enzymes returned to normal!

My theory is my gamma gt was elevated due to eating fast-food and drinking way too much diet cola.  It had nothing to due with alcohol consumption.
I agree, i never drink an alcohol and i never smoke but my GGT level is so high as well as alk phos, maybe because i always eat in fast food chain
It seems alot of times when our enzymes are outta whack, alcohol is always the culprit.
Cleaning up your diet without processed foods can also decrease these elevations.  Exercise also assists the liver in eliminating toxins.  
Longevity and good health are awarded thru clean living.
....Kim
Just got my work-place yearly physical. Looking at some sites on High levels of GGT, Mine came back at 168, and my SGOT 48 and my SGPT 67 also my Chloride was low by a couple digits. Any Sugg's?
35 years ago, I had a blood test and they found 80 range in gamma gt
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
1 hr ago
10356 commented on dominosarah's status
1 hr ago
stilltrying1965 commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
Track your weight over time