billirubin 3.1H in a 13 year old boy
Hi! My son is 13 yrs old and he is been having problems with high billirubin of 4.0 since 12/9/12 and he's been hospitalized on this date so the doctor from ER told me that he is been diagnosed with Gilbert sindrome and that he might have it since he was born so I am worry about because we went to see his doctor on 4/15/13 and he withdrew some blood and I went to pick up his test results and it came out that he has 3.1H and I am really concern, will you help me out to understand what is going on, his doctor its going to send me to get an US Abdomen and also she is going to make an appointment to send him with a gastrointerologist.
How is your son? What other symptoms are present? Gilbert's syndrome is a common disorder passed down through families and  affects the way bilirubin is processed by the liver. This is often discovered by accident, such as during blood tests that shows elevated bilirubin levels and no treatment is necessary. This causes fatigue or jaundice that may appear during times of exertion, stress, and infection, or when they do not eat. Ultrasound and other diagnostic tests may be indicated but it is best that you discuss the result with his attending physician. Take care and do keep us posted.