Liver Disorders Community
compensated and weight loss

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

compensated and weight loss

Hello.....i have cirrhosis but have been blessed to so far have relatively few issues.  The biggest has been fatigue and nausea but for a couple months now it was been so much better!   Anyway..... recently....like within the last month..... i have lost over 30 lbs.  I have changed nothing....my activity level....i dont excercise....my eating, sleeping, meds.  I am keeping food down and feel pretty good.....and i can tell you i am 35 yrs old and have never lost weight like this before....not when i tried not when i have been stressed.  So i am not sure if i should just be grateful to be thinner or......  

Any experience?
What was the cause of the cirrhosis?

Have you had a recent biopsy or MRI that shows the progression from when you were diagnosed?
Well they are saying nash....i was very overweight but am not any longer and i abused alcohol but have been sober for 3+ yrs
Have not had a recent biopsy my last scan showed my liver had swelled another 2cm
Have you had any recent testing for liver enzymes, iron testing (not the routine CBC's but iron storage, as excess iron is stored on liver first and increases effects and progression of NAFLD or NASH). Might be a good idea to go in and get current blood work for everything...check for carcinoma...your risks go up when you have cirrhosis...but in the case of iron overload all those other factors can make the progression of the liver disease even more.

Have your dr run ferritin, trandferin saturation and serum iron and TIBC. You need to make sure you are not storing iron in excess. It is an aggravating factor in disease progression.

What is your age? What have the staged your cirrhosis at?

My husband has stage 2 fibrosis with grade 3 inflammation...he was also diagnosed with a genetic condition that causes him to store iron, and it does affect the liver first. So it would be good to make sure your iron levels are within acceptable limits so as not to encourage progression.

Best wishes...C
Thanks for the info..... i actually have really low iron and occasionally have infusions i have a hemotologist that follows that.  I dont know the staging but i have a really good low meld
I am 35 and was diagnosed last yr
30 pounds in one month is dangerous?

Have you seen or talked to your hepatologist lately and let them know what has happened?
What do they say?
Have you had a blood test and a abdominal scan?
How long have you had cirrhosis?
What is the cause of your liver disease? Different liver diseases have different complications that are more likely.  
If you do please post them.

Weight loss like that can indicate a very serious issue. No one should lose that much weight in that amount of time.
I don't want to worry you but please don't ignore this
Please call your doctor on Monday and get seen ASAP!

hector