Liver Disorders Community
confused about ultra sound

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

confused about ultra sound

My fibroscan said 21 I had an ultrasound that showed I had a larger than normal liver size Concusion'fatty liver or Cholelithiasis,Now a doctor told me when you have cirrhosis,your liver shrinks and hardens,and my liver is far from that and no mention of scar like tissue,so what is going on? I remeber reading under googles of (problems with Fibroscan readings) that if yopu had a inflamed liver or enlarged that it could register a high number does anyone out there have any Ideas,
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Its the progression of the disease, first there are fatty liver changes at which stage the liver appears to have increased in size and as the disease progresses, there is scarring of the hepatocytes or liver and this causes a shrinkage in the size of the liver, leading to cirrhosis. This could in turn cause portal hypertension.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
HISTORY
Hepatitis c positive

FINDINGS
Comparison is madewith the prior examination of 09/27/2010
Thereis hepatomegaly with the midclavicular line length of the liver being 18cm.The liver is slightly heterogeneous in echogenicity with mild generalised increased echogenicity,consistent with diffuse process such as
fatty change.The portal vein is within normal limits of size and shows hepatopetal flow.The spleenis of normal size and appearence.There is no ascites.Thereis no evidenceof varices.Again a single,mobile calculus is noted within the gallbladder.Small echo genetic foci with ring down are noted related to the wall of the fundus of gallbladder,consistent with adenomyomatosis.Thereis no generalised gallbladder wall thickening or tenderness over the gallbladder.The panceas is reasonably well visualised aand appear normal.Both kidneys are normal in size,the right measures 10.8cm and the left 11.3cm.Thereis no hydronephrosis or focal renal mass.

CONCLUSION
Hepatomegalybwith mild hetrogenicity increased echogenicity ofthe liver'consistent with diffuse process such as fatty change.
Cholelithiasis.

now people I had a Fibroscan wich put me well over the f4 cirrhotic stage
21.HectorSF has loked at the findings of my ultra sound and found observece of key factors,ie normal portal vein and flow,Informed me from his very good knowledge.I DO NOT have Cirrhosis so beware of this new herolded machine called Fibroscan,as it put me through stress and I found out if you have an inflamed liver such as the ultra sound covayed,it can give you a false reading.

Thank You HectorSF
It doesnt sound like you have a problem. My liver is also mildly heterogenous and they said possibly due to patches of fat. a couple of years ago I had an enlarged fatty liver like yours. I lost weight. I think your fine
Thanks mate your a champion,amd thanks for your input those are bthe things we meed to hear TA.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks DR,but Hector FS gave me a good talking and he's waiting for liver transplant,nothing has cahaged except that it make me more positive that if  God see fit to help me be free of hep c my poor liver has got a chance of redemtion here's hoping.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Good to see your positive attitude. You could follow certain precautions to avoid further damage to the liver. Avoid smoking and alcohol. Avoid drugs like paracetomol and sedatives. Get vaccinated for hepatitis A or B. And follow up at regular intervals.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.