Liver Disorders Community
do I have a hiatal hernia

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

do I have a hiatal hernia

I got my sonogram results today and the doctor said that she found a small polyp on my gallbladder. but I am still a little afraid that I might have a hiatal hernia. can a hernia be seen on an ultra sound? or can it only be seen with an x ray or endoscopy? I still have these symptoms: burping constantly. large stools, lower back pain from time to time, nausea, funny feeling in throat, very slight tight feeling in upper part of stomach.
Tags: sonogram
A hiatal hernia is detectable with an ultra sound but only if that is the purpose of the ultra sound. It's not to likely to be found unless it is being sought out by the technician. X-ray or endoscopy is the best test for the diagnosis.

A Hiatal Hernia very seldom will show any symptoms until they are large in size. The symptoms you describe above would fall into the symptoms of a hiatal hernia. Over the counter medications to help your symptoms can become quite costly. If you are insured talk to your doctor and have the medication prescribed.

Heavy alcohol and smoking can be a huge factor in your esophageal problems. It is usually the most common cause. It causes the thin skin at the bottom of the esophagus to relax and allow stomach acid to damage the bottom where the pipe connects to the stomach.

As for the polyp it can be removed and tested for cancerous properties.

Randy