Liver Disorders Community
elevated liver enzymes ALT 1500+

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

elevated liver enzymes ALT 1500+

My husband is 29 yrs old.  Last October he was admitted to the hospital with Elevated liver enyzmes.  AST was 900,  ALT was 2800.  Those were the numbers after days of elevation.  It was attributed to a drug called Lamisil Oral since no Viruses, Hepatitis of any kind that's testable, were discovered in addition to a clean ultrasound.  His levels went down and all seemed fine until mid May, last weekend.  He said his urine was a little yellow so he called to DR to get another set of tests.  This time the enzymes were ALT1400 and AST500, but they are slowing going up.  Now !590 and 653.  Last time his Bilirubin was very high, this time it is 2.2 and total 1.0.  He has so far been cleared of viruses that can be tested for all testable Hepatitis and has another clean ultrasound. This time he had a CAT scan and it was clean as well.  No he is going for a liver biopsy and I did some research on my own and saw something called Autoimmune Hepatitis.  The Dr also sent order for an ANA test with the repeated panel next week in addition to the biopsy.  ANy ideas what is going on?  My husband is afraid he is going to die and I feel helpless, even though tests are being done. He also has not had one drop of alcohol since this happend in October, not so much as a Tylenol. No meds and No drink.  Another note is that the cholesterol, LDL, Triglycerides are all normal.
There are many causes for elevated liver enzymes aside from viral hepatitis. The ANA test may have been ordered to determine whether autoimmune hepatitis is at play. There are also other autoimmune diseases of the liver. the bottom line is that a liver biopsy is really the "Gold Standard" when it comes to liver condition and I believe that you will have a much greater understanding of what's going on once his biopsy has been reviewed. I can imagine how stressed out you and he are right now but my advice is to focus on making sure he has the best medical care available. A hepatologist is the specialist who is best trained to treat your Husband. If there are no hepatologists in your area then a good gastroenterologist is the next best choice.
Good luck,
Mike
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your input. I guess I know all that we can right now it's just frustrating. I hope they can at least attribute it to something specific once this is all done.  If I hear he simply has an undiagnosable virus again, I might lose my mind. So thanks again!
Sincerely,
Kay
spider6 commented on spider6's status
spider6 ......good happy Thursday m... Comment
spider6 commented on Shannon79's status
Track your weight over time