Liver Disorders Community
elevated tbil after taking Crestor

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

elevated tbil after taking Crestor

I was put on Crestor four weeks ago for elevated cholesterol.  My doctor (who retired Friday), had me come in for labs last Thursday. The nurse faxed me the results today, with a note saying the lipid panel was greatly improved. However, I noticed on the report that my TBIL had gone from .90, to 1.27 which gave me a high rating. Would crestor be the cause, and Is that high enough to be concerned about changing the meds?
I have seen a website or two that suggest that Crestor can cause an elevation in bilirubin. With statins, elevations in ALT and AST are usually mentioned as a possible side effect. Are your liver enzymes elevated as well?
A total bilirubin of 1.27 is slightly out of range and in my opinion wouldn't put you at risk. But I am not a doctor or in the medical field so don't rely on my advice. I say that about bilirubin because mine has been in that range and higher - 1.4 - without any consequences.
Elevated liver enzymes are a side effect of statins. I have read that different statins may affect people differently and that sometimes a change in statin will resolve any liver enzyme elevation. I have also read that modest statin induced enzyme elevation is often benign. Perhaps the same is true with a slight elevation in bilirubin.
Generally, before starting a patient on statins a blood test is done to establish baseline levels for liver markers and perhaps other markers that I don't know about. If this was done in your case your file should contain this information which another doctor should review. This is an issue that should be discussed with a doctor. I think you'll feel a lot better if you follow up with a doctor.
Good luck,
Mike
Thanks Mike, I talked to the Dr office yesterday, they confirmed that the doctor wasn't concerned about the bilirubin but wanted another test in three months. ps
Good, I am pleased to hear that.
Be well,
Mike