Liver Disorders Community
fetor hepaticus

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

fetor hepaticus

hello I just came from a liver expert who doesnt believe I have portalhypertension even though I described my fecal breath which the kids on the schoolbus smell everymorning(im a busdriver).My liver checked out fine with the ultrasound so she told me to get my teath claened but I know that cant be it(even if there was something stuck in my teeth it wouldnt account for the strong sweet smell and she wont do the mri)!Are there any doctors who specialize in this kind of thing .I dont care how far I have to travel! I live in florida at the moment but it doesnt matter any more...
Why do you think you have portal hypertension?  Have you been diagnosed with a liver disease?

Breath odor can indeed be caused from a lack of professinal cleaning as we age.  Post nasal drip is another contributor, tonsil issues as well.  Sweet breath is also associated with diabetes.
in portal hypertention the blood finds its way too the heart without passing through the liver and then too the lungs to get rid of waste.In my case after I eat I start couphing up mucus that smells like what I ate within 10 minutes so I figure the only way that can happen is because portalhypertention unless there is another disease that causes the body to expel waste through the lungs?
From my understanding portal hypertension is increased blood pressure through the portal vein typically caused by liver disease when blood flow through the liver is impaired.  What you are describing sounds more like a reflux or perhaps a gall bladder issue.  Do you have any other symptoms of liver disease?  Have you had liver function bloodwork done?
I would expect that if you do have portal hypertension then you would also have abnormal liver markers. Your ALT would likely be elevated unless your liver is so cirrhotic that there are not enough live cells remaining to release enzymes. Your bilirubin would probably be elevated as would your AST, GGT and alkaline phosphatase. You might see a decreased albumin and your clotting time (PTT) would likely be longer and you would probably have a low platelet count. And you should have other symptoms of cirrhosis such as ascites, spider veins, edema, encephalopathy (mental confusion) red palms etc.
Fetor hepaticus is a symptom of late stage liver disease and it doesn't exist in a vacuum. If you haven't already had a full liver blood work I think that would be a starting point.

Good luck,
Mike