Liver Disorders Community
high levels of SGOT and SGPT

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

high levels of SGOT and SGPT

Dear Doctor,
I got myself tested for LFT,as i drink on daily basis 4 large pegs, and was apprehensive about my liver condition.
My SGOT level is 175 and my SGPT level is 95 which is very high when i compere it with the normal ranges.Please advice what should i do next and what food and medicines are to be taken, and any other medical advice.
Iam 57 year old male. there are no symptoms as such.Moreover if i stop alcohol how long it will take to have normal levels, one more thing is beer ok or that also has to be stopped.
Please advice, i will be greatful
regards
ruhail
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Normal values for SGOT is 0-35 and SGPT is 4-36. So, the values mentioned are on the higher side. Considering your history, the elevation could be due to fatty liver changes. This can be assessed by an ultrasonogram. Fatty liver can be due to alcoholism when it is called Alcoholic fatty liver disease and the other one is Non alcoholic fatty liver disease, which is due to obesity, diabetes and high triglyceride levels. This can progress to cirrhosis of the liver and can be associated with hepatocellular carcinoma. So, prevention or cure is by avoiding all alcoholic drinks and treating diabetes, obesity and high triglyceride levels. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
1 hr ago
opus88 commented on photo
opus88 commented on photo
Track your weight over time