Liver Disorders Community
liver (Cirrhosis)

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

liver (Cirrhosis)

if you have Cirrhosis of the liver due to drinking and you stop drinking for 10 years and then start drinking occaisionally will it hurt your liver?
If you have cirrhosis of the liver from drinking it means that you have developed scar tissue on your liver from repeated bouts of liver irritation and enlargement from the toxic effects of alcohol consumption. Any amounts of alcohol prove injurious to the liver. No one is immune to liver damage from alcohol consumption. If you have stopped drinking for ten years and start drinking again it will damage your liver further and cause the cirrhosis to worsen and or lead to liver failur and death. Stop drinking altogether is the only advice I can offer you.
The liver is responsible for over 500 functions that are essential to your health and well being. When you consume alcohol you are preventing your liver from functioning normally. You can end up with bleeding from alcoholic liver disease, diabetes related disorders, and clotting problems.Along with needing a liver transplant if your liver fails to remove toxins from your body. I  hope you find help with your problems, and that this helped you understand your liver's job, and why you should work hard to stay healthy and avoid alcohol now that your liver is basically impaired from being able to function as it once did before you had cirrhosis.
All info I have seen states do not drink alcohol if you suffer from cirrhosis.  No ifs, ands or buts about it.
Hi,my husband has had cirrhosis for 5 years now and it will be two years he is on the transplant list,he is in the hospital as we speak. last Saturday his blood sugar was 509, he isn't a diabetic(now he is). The doctor said today that his pancreas is done and so is his liver. I have been home with him for 2 years to take care of him,this is going to be really hard to make sure he sticks to his diet which he never has in the past, and now he really has to be careful. Does this make his chances of living slim? I'm scared and now over whelmed.