liver lesions
what causes lesions in the liver? They were found during surgery to remove the galbladder.
Hi jewel, In an effort to attempt to research an aswer for you I came across this post back in 2003 and I think it will answer everything you need to know. I wish you the best.

Randy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What causes liver lesions. How common are they? Is there any significance in the the number of lesions seen? How often do they change into liver cancer? Is there any treatment that will help?

...Doctor's Answer by Kevin Pho, MD, Dec 24, 2003 12:00AM
There are many causes for liver lesions.  They can include malignant causes such as cancer, or benign causes like cysts, hepatic adenomas, hemangiomas, focal nodular hyperplasia, or infectious causes.  

As for the frequency, it will depend on what kind of liver lesion is in question.  I would say that benign causes of liver lesions are more common than malignant ones.  

The number of lesions does not normally point to a diagnosis.  The best way for further evaluation would be imaging such a CT scan or MRI or biopsy.

To my knowledge, benign liver lesions do not "change" into cancer.  It is either cancerous or not from the beginning.  

Treatment would depend on what the lesions are.  Some lesions, such as cysts are simply observed.  Other lesions may be resected, based on what it is and the size.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.