Liver Disorders Community
liver surgery and recuperating

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

liver surgery and recuperating

Long Story Short,I FINALLY had the dreaded over 50 colonoscopy, which lead me to having an Ultrasound, which lead me to having a CTscan and than an MRI. Had to have tests done due to finding/seeing something in my Liver My results were sent to A specialist in Manhattan Just got back from the city. VERY torn/upset. Had a consult with a well respected liver surgeon/specialist, who explained his reason WHY he was given the info on me after meeting with a liver group at Columbia presbyterian. It seems I DO have small dark suspicious cluster spots in the center of my liver, which are dilated. , and near the 2cnd to main vessels/arteries. Where it is positioned would never show any accurate results to needle biopsy He feels the odds are that it is greater than 50% that is is nothing (now) BUT could also be the beginning formation of a type of cancer that once there, it grows VERY rapidly, and by the time one has ANY slight symptoms it is already too late, and there is no cure or life expectancy. So in other words, it may be nothing or because I went in for another test, it just happen to show up, and if it were Cancer, by having it removed now would remove all concerns of what would happen if it happen to BE the Cancer that is normally found later when life expectancy is a few months tops. BUT, it also means Major surgery, meaning removing a GOOD portion of my liver which might be completely fine or might be REALLY bad and caught early. REALLY REALLY torn. Has anyone experienced anything similar? And what was the outcome? And last I am a very strong although tiny woman who has always been very energetic, and do animal rescue. My biggest concern is being around to continue my rescue work. Have all of you who are reading this gone back to being and feeling as good as before? I worry doing something so radical may create problems I did not feel before I went under the knife after the recuperating time.
Thanks!
Sorry to hear that you're faced with this dilemma.  Did your doctor state exactly KIND of cancer formation he was concerned about?  Is there a high level of concern that these liver lesions are cancerous because of blood results, or other conditions you might have?  The surgery your doctor is suggesting is a serious undertaking... are there special circumstances or something particular that is leading this surgeon to suggest major surgery based on "what ifs"?

It sounds like what the surgeon is suggesting is partial resection, or hepatectomy.  My husband had left lateral liver resection back in 2007 because of a 6cm x 12cm tumor, and you're right, it IS major surgery, with risks that have to be weighed with the benefits.  The incision for the surgery begins below your ribcage and stops just short of the navel.  Recovery time in the hospital for averages 7-10 days was what we were told by doctors, but my husband recovered well and was home 5 days after his surgery.  He was able to get around pretty well on his own about 8-10 weeks after surgery, but it took him almost 6 months to "fully" recover (he had some minor wound infections that took a little time to resolve).  Hope that helps.