Liver Disorders Community
liver swelling

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

liver swelling

swollen liver with back pain.  ct scan and ultra sounds shown masses and lesions, my stomach swells up to 6 inches bigger monthly, then goes back down to my normal stomach 1 week of the month, what am i to do?
You need to get to a teaching hospital that performs liver transplants. They are the only ones that can tell the difference between a benign growth and liver cancer. They are also the only place you can treat liver cancer.  Liver cancer is a very serious, life-threatening cancer. It should be detected as early as possible, when it is small, to have the best prognosis.  

Stomach/abdomen swelling is called "ascites" it could be a complication of cirrhosis of the liver. Only people with advanced cirrhosis experiences this complication.

Only a liver transplant center can fully evaluate your liver disease. You don't say where you live. Hopefully in or near a large city where transplant centers are usually located.

Tell your doctor you want a referral to a transplant center NOW. Do not delay! However performed the ultrasound and CT sound send copies of your records to the transplant center. If you have lesions on your liver and have cirrhosis you have an increased risk of developing liver cancer. The only cure is a liver transplant.

Cheers!
Hector
Hi there, masses can turn out to be fatty liver, and with that comes large type masses of fatty deposits...my husband has lesions on his liver and he has had a liver biopsy recently...it shows stage 2 peri  portal fibrosis. There are 4 stages the drs. use to diagnose liver disease/cirrhosis...from 0-4, 4 being cirrhosis, but there are also grades of cirrhosis, grades A, B, and C. Only in grade C do they recommend and refer for transplant.

I don't want to minimize but until the further tests come back on the masses, it could also be fatty liver, which my husband has, and lesions are normal in some liver damage, but does not indicate that at this point it could be cancerous. Although cancer risks are greater in people with NAFLD...if you are getting liver biopsy then this will answer more questions.

My husband has both hereditary hemochromatosis and Hep C genotype 1a. He is 57. He has had the HHC for his whole life and the Hep C likely 30 years, and he is only at stage 2 fibrosis, so don't panic and get some more answers. It is very disconcerting when you first receive your scan results. We had to wait some time before the biopsy gave the full story. My husband also gets fluid distention in his abdomen, and this will happen with liver damage. You'll know more soon and know what you're facing.

Take care...