Liver Disorders Community
non-alcoholoc fatty liver disease linked to lupus?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

I was seen months ago for flank pain in my upper right abdomen and back. I have since been referred to gastroenterologist and was subject to several procedures and tests (bloodwork, barium study, upper endoscopy, ct scans, ultrasounds, and liver biopsy). I was diagnosed with kidney stones but I have yet to pass them and I'm not convinced that they do or ever did exist). I have also been diagnosed with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (fatty liver disease). Prior to the recent pain and discomfort in my abdomen and back, I learned I have celiac disease (I was diagnosed in 2002 or 2003 and I have been following a gluten-free diet since), an enlarged thyroid (2007) and debilitating vertigo (episodes lasting 2-4 weeks have been recurring since 2007). My skin, in general, is incredibly dry and spotty (red dots and bumps), especially my scalp (flaky sores that are not particularly itchy); however, I was also diagnosed with lichen sclerosis, a condition that affects the vulva which leads to chronic thinning, itching, and inflammation of vaginal skin. Also, I seem to develop sores in my mouth when I am really not feeling well. My eyes have been incredibly dry for the past year and I have been developing calluses on my eyes from the dryness.  I have also suffered from headaches, confusion, forgetfulness, difficulty swallowing, chronic heartburn, shortness of breath, and difficulty speaking for the past 2 years. I am very frustrated with the recent liver diagnosis. I hoped that some other explanation could be offered to help me understand what is causing all of these problems and may link some of these issues together.  have been talking with friends and family members and some of them have recommended getting tested for lupus. Can you offer any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Ouch! Thats quite a laundry list of symptoms and would be know picnic. First, I think most calcium based kidney stones show up on about any scan - if they are like over 1 mm. - so if they "see" something on one test, that looks opaque - they may just say you have a stone - or they can order more tests with better contrast.

As for your other matter. Well Hmmm. Thats one for the real smart guys. I have read that lupus certainly has hepatic effects on many - but I dont know if lupus causes that remaining panopoly of symptoms.

On a tangent - and not that I'm a helath food freak or anything - but over the long haul, I believe a diet based more on fresh vegetables, lean mears, and fruits would help someones general health a great deal more than years of cheeseburgers, fries, pies, and a daily 6 pack of budweiser. Age and weight are also factors.  This is just a general observation, and a lot of chronically ill folk i run into have had poor diets for a decade or more.

At any rate, I hope all goes well for you.  I also think your celiac disease may be integrated into this (a pure guess) - as I know a gal who has it and she was maddenning sick until she went gluten free - and shes slowly beginning to feel a bit better day by day...

J
Wow, I so wish I had something useful to say. It just makes me think all these things happening may be an autoimmune disorder, but I have no clue.

Take care and good luck!
Nicole
I too have Nash and have had it for 5 years luckily I have stayed stable I am just under the care of the liver   doctors                and being monitored. I also have dry eyes and mouth and chronic pains arthritis etc. recently I have been checked for           shogrens disease. my sister has lupus and I am currently being checked for that too. Shogrens does cause all your    symtoms (symptoms) so, I would look into that if I were you.