Liver Disorders Community
normal enzyme levels but poor digestion

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

normal enzyme levels but poor digestion

i had my liver enzymes elevated three times the normal range. after following a diet in three months my enzyme gradually decreases and in the  fourth blood test they become normal and the doctor said perfect.
however, i cannot digest many of the foods (mainly vegetables) and see a lot of undigested food in my stool.
i started to think that my liver is not working properly although enzymes are normal. can this be the case?
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The enzymes are elevated in liver disorders. The enzymes are located in liver cells that leak out into the general circulation when liver cells are damaged. So, the enzyme levels do not reflect digestive capacity.  Your symptoms could be due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), malabsorption, inflammatory bowel diseases and various infections of the colon.  Blood tests will help detect infections, besides stool examination which will reveal fat malabsorption. Bacterial overgrowth is tested with a breath test. Please discuss these issues with your primary care physician when you happen to meet him. Try to include yogurt in your diet as it is a probiotic which replaces lactobacillus acidophilus (good bacteria) that helps with digestion.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
i have gas and movement mainly in righ quadrant. i have constipation also.
i wondered why things mainly occur in the right quadrant? i did a breath test for lactose intolerence and doctor told me the test is negative. does this mean that  there is no bacterial over-growth? how long can ibs last? can the sympoms occur every day?
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. If liver and gallbladder disorders were ruled out, then your symptoms of pain could be due to colon disorders like inflammatory bowel disorders or diverticulitis. But with this there is usually some bleeding into the stools. A colonoscopy may be needed to rule out colon disorders. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, made after other disorders are ruled out.  For IBS there is no cure. But it is important to remember that some symptoms may persist or recur from time to time, despite treatment, and that IBS does not cause more serious disorders nor does it require surgery at any point of time.

Depending on your symptoms, your doctor will prescribe appropriate medicines to counter the same. In some cases factors such as stress, diet and infection can trigger attacks.

Try lifestyle measures they help to reduce the severity of symptoms. Stop becoming over anxious and practice relaxation techniques. Exercise, go for long relaxed walks. Avoid those foods which you feel are increasing your symptoms. Stop smoking, eliminate alcohol consumption, and avoid caffeinated beverages and spicy food.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Dee1956 commented on Belle313's status
spider6 ....man, it is dead around ... Comment
May 27
10356 commented on msdelight's status
May 26
Track your weight over time