Liver Disorders Community
overactive liver causing bowel movements

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Am a 53 year old male in good health except for numerous bowel movements during the day. Four years ago had colonoscopy to determine causes. Was told that at sometime I had had a virus that caused my liver to be overactive in production of bile thus causing excess waste. Was given cholestoral meds. and antidiarea meds to control problem which Dr. said it would correct itself in time. Now going on 4 years and off meds., but no improvement of symptoms. Still have up to 7 to 10 movements per day. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
This is not a good enough answer by your doctor.  My daughter was fobbed off for years and now at the age of 31 had her whole large colon removed as she became so far gone with Crohns it was irrepairable.  I am not trying to frighten you but hers was not traced either.  I am not trying to say you have this, it is just easy to miss and the doctors can easily miss these problems.  Have Actimel for a start every morning, for the pro bacteria and go and ask to be referred to make sure that you do not go down the road where something has gone wrong and it is too late.  Anti diahorria meds should not be taken continually anyway so there is obviously some sort of imbalance somewhere.  get them to send you to a gastroenterologist.  Sometimes you have to insist or ask for a second opinion.  It is more common than you think.  
Good luck
Thank you for the advice. The Dr. that I was seeing was a gastroenterologist so now not sure what to do. I appreciate any more suggestions.