Liver Disorders Community
ssdi and medical assistance

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

ssdi and medical assistance

I have gotten an approval over the phone and am waiting for the letter.  I have finally, thru the grace of God, been aprroved, found the dr whom I love, life is looking up!  My question is will I continue with medicaid while waiting for medicare to kick in?  Things I have read have led me to believe  that I won't have any healthcare  during the waiting period of two years before medicare kicks in.  I do not have hepatitis but I have cirrhosis and portal hypertension.  I am end stage but have faith.  I have  many other health issues including Lupus, spinal problems , chronic pain, Celiac disease among others.  I am a 45 yr old female and have been waiting for approval for going on 4 years.  Finally approved yet scared about insurance. Any input would be appreciated
I would think you would continue with medicaid until medicare kicks in...at least that's how it is in CA...Good luck
Since you don't have hepatitis C this should have been posted in the Cirrhosis of the Liver or the Health Insurance Communities.

What is the cause of your liver disease?

Call your Medicaid office and ask how you will be transitioned to Medicare from medicaid when eligible, different states may have different rules. Medicare is Federal, Medicaid health coverage is a combination of state and Federal funds. Although I don't think you want to do that as you will read later.

Normally Medicaid automatically enroll you in Medicare after you get disability benefits for two years.

'Things I have read have led me to believe  that I won't have any healthcare  during the waiting period of two years before medicare kicks in.'

You say you are End-Stage? What is your MELD score. In the 30s? The vast majority of End-Stage Liver Disease patients are constantly hospitalized for life-threatening HE comas, bleeding varices, parenthesis, infections, etc. and will most likely need a transplant within the next year to continue to live. If this is true I am very sorry. End-Stage Liver Disease patients will not have 2 1/2 years of life remaining without a transplant.

There are three distinct stages of cirrhosis. Compensated, Decompensated and End-stage.

Besides Liver Transplant Centers (where you MUST be treated to have your cirrhosis and portal hypertension managed) usually take both Medicaid and Medicare for payment so there is no advantage to Medicare. In fact Medicare is very expensive. You say you have one doctor. Any one doctor can NOT treat all of your health conditions and certainly not your liver disease. You will have to make sure the liver transplant center takes Medicaid. This should be the first think you do. The longer you wait to be treated and listed for transplant the greater your risk of a poor outcome. Having limited assets is one of the primary requirements for Medicaid eligibility. Medicare for a person with cirrhosis in need of a liver transplant is very expensive and you will require full Medicare coverage. I currently pay about $700 per month for Medicare coverage here in California. Risking waiting for medical care when you have cirrhosis and portal hypertension is a risk you should never take. You need to be under the care of a hepatologist at a liver transplant center ASAP if you are not.

Cheers!
Hector
" I am a 45 yr old female and have been waiting for approval for going on 4 years."

Sounds like you have already met the 2 years, besides that you will have a nice check coming........... Best