Liver Disorders Community
symptoms of late stages of cirrhosis

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

symptoms of late stages of cirrhosis

My husband is 51. We have only been married for 1 year, but have known each other for 35 years. He told me a year and a half ago that he has cirrhosis and hep c. Basically, we got married because we are best friends, love each other, and he doesn't want to die alone. We have no insurance. He has a big belly,veins all over it. His legs have varicose veins, and bad small veins around his ankles, calves and feet. He has bleeding in his mouth every night. When he rinses his mouth, it has small blood clots. His breath is horrible. He is losing weight, even though he eats quite a bit. He will not stop drinking. Now he is having confusion, mostly when he is drinking...The thing is he never had the confusion before, thats a pretty new thing. He says something, then the next sentence, contradicts what he just said, then in the next is mad at me saying I was the one saying it???? He is making me confused! I don't drink. Now he has started smoking pot, supposedly to get off the alcohol... now he is doing both! He won't go to the doctor, or the ER... Sometimes he has chest pain or pressure. Does it sound like he is in the final stages? or is this something that could still go on for years???? Help me, I need to know!
Yes this sounds like end stage Chirrosis (cirrhosis) of the Liver with Hepatitis C. A friend of mines Husband had Chirrosis (cirrhosis) and he had the abdominal swelling, foul odor on breathe and bleeding from mouth. He was in extreme pain too, but I believe at the time had stopped drinking. My Father died of Chirrosis (cirrhosis) of the liver and Lung Cancer,  so I can understand your concerns and frustration with trying to help your loved one. regarding the Hepatits C, I knew a friend in College with this Disease.  He contacted it through unprotected sex with male partner.  His Physician put him on Interfuron but it only put  the disease in a remission and it's not a cure. So my friend would always be a carrier of Hepatitis C.  I also worked in the Substance Abuse Field, People use Marajuana often for nausea and pain. I suggest that you use the power of Google there is a weath of information online. As for your Husband not wanting to no longer seek Medical advice, its probably because he is in pain and depressed.  In his mind and soul I am sure that he wants to die in the comfort of his home with his loved ones. Getting Hospice involved would be a good idea , so a nurse come to your home to make him more comfortable and  administer his medications. This way he will take them properly if he is not doing so already.  I hope what I wrote helps you and gives you some options  to prepare  for his care when his time is nearing the end.  God bless you both your in my prayers.
I thought of  a few more things to tell you since i made my first post to you at 6 am this morning.  You mentioned your   husband is still  drinking and is not lucid or confused. Thats from a number of things, the alcohilism in itself and also from the pain.  You  said you have no health insurnace. Why don't  you go to your local Social Security Office and file for Disabilty SSI for your husband. He is certainly entitled , once approved he will recieve health insurance medicade Plus a HMO plan pus food stamp benefits.  I am on SSI I have  health conditions that make me no longer able to  work now. I hope this helps you out good luck.
Yes he is in the final stages, not sure how long it will go on but it will definitely be quicker if he does not stop drinking and get proper health care.
I'm afraid he won't last long if he doesn't quit drinking. The thing is, I've heard of a number of people at "end stage" who bounced back when they finally did quit and started listening to their doctors.  You can generate good liver cells between the scar tissue and he may have a fighting chance at life if he will stop drinking.  I'm sorry you have to go through this.  

There is a good website with a dedicated cirrhosis group.  Do a search on "*************" and you'll find it.  The confusion is probably due to high ammonia levels.