what does this mean? portal hypertension?
A year ago I was told I had fatty infiltration of the liver and hepatosplenomegaly. My dr told me to stop drinking. I did stop drinking after some time but do slip up and drink every couple months. My liver enzymes have been elevated for about 10 years. I'm 33 yo female and had gastric bypass surgery 6 months ago. For the last while I was having a lot of vomiting with blood and right upper abdominal pain and chest pains. I stayed at the hospital for a cpl weeks as they did a dye/contrast ct scan, and told me that I have a large perforated bleeding ulcer that went to my liver and surrounding tissue and that they have never seen one so bad and everything was inflamed. Today when I was at my dr's for a sinus infection I saw the report from the hospital scan, and my dr wrote in my file "fatty liver infiltration with biliary venous portal hypertension and splenomegaly" what does this mean??
"....my dr wrote in my file "fatty liver infiltration with biliary venous portal hypertension and splenomegaly" what does this mean??"

Fatty liver infiltration is just what it says. You have a fatty liver which is probably the most common liver disease. In its mild form it isn't a cause for alarm but it can become more advanced and can lead to fibrosis and even cirrhosis - scaring of the liver. That does pose a serious health risk.

Portal hypertension: When the liver becomes cirrhotic healthy liver cells are replaced by scar tissue. As that happens blood flow from the portal vein doesn't flow easily into the liver - because it's scared. That causes increased portal pressure or portal hypertension. This situation can present a serious risk of bleeding. The blood which should flow into the liver through the portal vein encounters resistance from the scaring and in a patient with portal hypertension the blood can seek alternative - less restrictive pathways. The blood can back up into the vessels in the esophagus. As pressure increases these esophageal vessels can become distended and can rupture. These distended vessels are called esophageal varices. If your doctor has diagnosed you with portal hypertension I would have expected him to order an endoscopy where a camera is attached to a flexible tube and inserted into your throat down into your esophagus. I believe this is the standard procedure to examine the esophagus for any signs of the development of varices.

Splenomegaly: When a patient has portal hypertension it is common to see an enlarged spleen and that is what "splenomegaly" refers to. The spleen is enlarged due and as a consequence there is a sequestration of platelets and white and red blood cells.

I think you should see a hepatologist (liver specialist) ideally and if one is not available to you then a gastroenterologist (digestive disease specialist) would be the next choice. I think that if you're not being seen by a specialist then you should be. And I definitely think you should have an endoscopic examination.

I want to make it clear that I am not a doctor or in the medical field in any capacity - except as a patient.

Good luck,
Mike

Hello and hope you are doing well.

Fatty infiltration of the liver can cause cirrhosis and consequent portal hypertension, this can cause a back flow resulting in esophageal varices and these varices are liable to bleed. You could follow certain precautions to avoid further damage to the liver. Avoid smoking and alcohol. Avoid drugs like paracetomol and sedatives. Get vaccinated for hepatitis A and B. Take a good protein diet.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Ricky was diagnosed with non alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver.. .portal hypertension and these 2 things have created other problems... spleen and pancreas and lower intestines.... colon.. stomach... His pancreas has a hard time processing fats.. he has lost 40 pounds..
doctor Hsu put him on blood pressure pills to slow the blood pressure on his portal veins and varices..
HE is in constant pain... Dr.Kevin Hsu has not offered to put him on a liver transplant list...I keep telling him to ask or get another opinion...
He is very weak and acts confused alot... part of the problem of the toxins staying in the blood.... are there any meds out there to help with this.. ?  "Dr Hsu acts like im over re acting.. I think NOT... ive done some research and I have found somethings that doctor HSU hasnt mentioned...