All other labs normal. Note 25 mg/day Seroquel was stopped ~7 weeks before 5/2011 lab test to see if it was causing elevated ALT
Can a "fasting" elevated ferritin, elevated transferrin saturation &elevated ALT be attributed to fatty liver vs iron overload? 5/2011 set of liver lab tests were done in preparation for follow up CT scan in June to monitor suspected atypical hemangioma lesion
GI Dr thinks elevated labs may be related to fatty liver (which was previously seen around liver lesions in a prior ultrasound). I know that NAFLD may be associated with elevated ferritin but is that also true of elevated transferrin saturation %? GI Dr does not suspect iron overload as Ferritin <1000 ng/ml. Can elevated transferring sat% & ferritin, & elevated ALT all be due to fatty liver?
Don't 61% transferring saturation% & 373 ng/ml ferritin give strong predictive value for iron overload/hemochromatosis? Is a gene test irrelevant for asian patient? How does one differentiate between fatty liver & hemochromatosis?
I'll also be having 3rd CT on suspected atypical hemangioma lesions in June (9mo interval); no growth so far at 1wk, 3mo intervals. Can one have both fatty liver AND hemochromatosis, or is it more likely elevated labs are all due to fatty liver, or worse liver disease/lesion?
if you have risk factors for fatty liver, the iron profile above can definitely be consistent with it. it doesn't hurt to check HFE gene testing for peace of mind. you may also want to check MRI instead of CT scan next time as MRI is a fairly good assessment for iron overload in liver.
I spoke with GI doctor again. He said I could do a HFE gene test next time I need bloodwork; however, he seriously doubts that I have hemochromatosis. Given that I am asian, I'm guessing I'll be negative on HFE test, but couldn't I have non-HFE Hemochromatosis?
I guess my concern is my one fasting test result of 61% transferrin sat & 373 ferritin.
All the research papers suggest 45% transferring sat% & 250 ferritin cutoff for screening hemochromatosis, or a more stringent fasting 55% transferring sat% & 350 ferritin cutoff for diagnosing hemochromatosis.
My GI doctor thought it very unlikely that I have hemochromatosis and he was not concerned at all about elevated transferrin sat% and ferritin. However, he did say I can do HFE test next time I need bloodwork but to wait until then.
Still, if my HFE test is negative, does that mean I don't need to worry anymore, or should I ask for follow up transferring sat% test & follow up ferritin test to see if those levels remain elevated.
At current 61% saturation & 373 ferritin, my GI doctor thought those values were fine and not abnormal. However, the more research papers I look through about hemochromatosis, they say normal values are around 25% saturation and 150 ug/L ferritin...hence 60% transferrin sat% & 350 ug/L cutoffs for diagnosing hemochromatosis.
Am I worrying too much or should I keep pushing GI Dr for follow up blood panel (even if HFE test is negative) to see if transferrin sat% and ferritin remain high?
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.