Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Acetaminophen overdose?
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Acetaminophen overdose?

Pardon me but I don't know where else to post this question. Earlier last week I was talking some tylenol 1s, then perocet and emtec for pain relief along with some ibuprophen. I was in so much pain I was taking more than the recommended dosage at a time, because I thought it would help and my body could deal with the slight extra amounts here and there. I also went out for a single beer two days in a row. I ended up very sick, but slept it off and felt quite ill for a few days and still feel ill. I talked to my doctor who is sending me for liver function tests. This was not an intentional overdose. I still feel weak and maybe shakey (shaky) but it might be from being afraid. Will an untreated acetaminophen overdose always result in liver damage, and if that's the case, what can be done once the treatment window for acetaminophen toxicity is gone? Is a person with liver damage on a downward slope to end-stage liver disease or is it still possible no damage has occured? I don't feel sick, just a bit weak, scared, and I have a bloated pain in the upper left of my gut. My liver doesn't hurt. Please help.