Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Acetaminophen overdose?

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Acetaminophen overdose?

Pardon me but I don't know where else to post this question. Earlier last week I was talking some tylenol 1s, then perocet and emtec for pain relief along with some ibuprophen. I was in so much pain I was taking more than the recommended dosage at a time, because I thought it would help and my body could deal with the slight extra amounts here and there. I also went out for a single beer two days in a row. I ended up very sick, but slept it off and felt quite ill for a few days and still feel ill. I talked to my doctor who is sending me for liver function tests. This was not an intentional overdose. I still feel weak and maybe shakey (shaky) but it might be from being afraid. Will an untreated acetaminophen overdose always result in liver damage, and if that's the case, what can be done once the treatment window for acetaminophen toxicity is gone? Is a person with liver damage on a downward slope to end-stage liver disease or is it still possible no damage has occured? I don't feel sick, just a bit weak, scared, and I have a bloated pain in the upper left of my gut. My liver doesn't hurt. Please help.
  • Tylenol abuse (2 replies):
    How many Liver Transplants are due to Tylenol abuse?
if you would have had appreciable liver damage it would have occurred a while ago and would've landed you in the hospital.  Ibuprofen can also cause liver damage, especially if combined with any alcohol. you should not develop any chronic liver damage but if you are not feeling 100% i advise you to check some lab tests.  i think you were very lucky that nothing bad happened.  Please check this out ASAP.