Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Atypical hemangioma, malignant, or benign hepatic tumor

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Hell Dr.

Let's start with a bit of background here. I am 32 years old and I am an ovarian cancer survivor. I had a stage 4 ovarian dysgerminoma when I was 11. It had spread to the fallopian tube and part of the uterus, I had two surgeries and chemotherapy.

During a routine yearly exam, I had explained some symptoms I was having to my dr. (nausea, pain in abdomen, etc) and he suggested I get a CT. After the Ct was done, he said my female organs looked fine, but I had a dense mass in my liver and we scheduled an MRI. I just had my follow up visit since the MRI and I am not feeling any better about this lesion growing in my body. Here is what the radiaologist put in his report:

The posterior right lobe mass identified on abnormal CT is slightly hypertense. The lesion does not initially enhance, but there is contrast enhancement as the lesion in nonvisible 15 minutes post contrast. The lesion does not follow imaging characteristics consistant with a hemangioma. Differental diagnosis would include an atypical hemangioma, malignant, or benign hepatic tumor.

I am to follow up in 3 months! Is this realistic for a cancer survivor? I had scared to death at this point and wasn't sure if I should look into a second opinion or what. They talked about a biopsy, but they said it would be hard to get to and extremely painful for me. What should I do? Get a second opinion or wait it out and hope it isn't to late?
i think that you should have a second opinion--i would recommend also checking an MRI with eovist
That was suppose to say "Hello Dr."! Fingers got away from me I guess...

I recently tried to get a second opinion...My physician won't refer me any where! So, I guess I am going to have to wait the 3 months.