Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Can liver heal itself and how

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Can liver heal itself and how
I was in the Navy when I was 21 (I am 29 now) and it started an alcoholic rampage that lasted about 8 years. I could go a while without drinking but when I would drink, I would not stop for a few days. Is there a way to tell if my liver is ok? Can it regenerate at my age? Is there anything I can do to help my liver recover?
the liver can regenerate remarkably.  It is well known that with sobriety extreme liver damage can regress.  I recommend checking your liver blood tests to make sure they are normal.  If you no longer drink to excess you should be OK.