Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Doctor Does This sound Like Cirrhosis?

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Doctor Does This sound Like Cirrhosis?

My last drink was September 21, 2010 after I had a ultrasound.  
Results: "moderate to sever fatty liver with mild hepatomegaly" ! All liver enzymes were normal, spleen normal, no portal hypertension.

About a year ago I got a follow up ultrasound to see how the severe fatty liver was doing. This second ultrasound  was done in the doctors office on a portable machine and sent out to a radiologist to read. I don't recall but I doubt it was was a doppler. I just hope it was accurate :(
Ultrasound of the abdomen was NORMAL with only mild fatty liver.  
The doctor says this is good news though. I went from SEVERE to MILD and there is no mention of enlargement on the second scan.

Now that I laid the groundwork, here is my question: being a hypochondriac, I tend to obsess over things. Im constantly checking my abdomen for distended veins and my palms do look red. when I showed my doctor he thought it was more of a carotine red than true palmer erithmer. I have found a few small spider veins here and there. At 48 I am assuming some of these are normal.
After I work out I notice a couple of veins on the sides of my chest and abdomen seem to become more visible, I can almost "feel" one through the skin.
I donate a pint of blood every 8 weeks to keep the RBC and Hematocrit in check, the elevated numbers seem to be a side effect of testosterone.I wish I knew the platelets but apparently they don't check that for the purposes of testosterone monitoring.
with high hematocrit and hemoglobin can you have low platelets?
Do you think I should push them for yet another ultrasound, or should I just monitor with blood testing.  Based on what I told you, does this point to cirrhosis?

Labs January 2012
E2 62
A1C 4.9
Glucose 95
Creatnine 1.0
Bilirubin 1.1
Albumin 4.9
ALT 36
AST 19
Hemoglobin 18.1
Tags: cirrhosis, fatty liver, ultrasound, distended veins
what is your platelet count. You should get a fibrosure test to make sure that you do not have hepatic fibrosis.  Your next imaging study should be an MRI which can non-invasively assess for both iron and fat.  overall i think you are OK.
Oh I should explain the testosterone. I am being treated for low T, not because of a liver disfunction, I have had it all my life. So for the last year or so, I have been getting monthly blood tests to monitor my T levels since I had testosterone pellets inserted recently. they also do a basic liver function which I included above
I had a visit to my gastro today who assured me I'm fine,n he thinks my problem is more of an anxiety issue then a liver disorder. He ordered a new set of bloods, but he says he's only doing this to appease me, he sees no reason for it. sorry for the neurotic behavior. He was quick to point out that I had 3 ultrasounds in the last 2 years and almost 20 blood tests all relatively normal.
Thanks Dr.
My last platelet count about 8 months ago was 250,000. (norm 150-450)
the platelet count of 250K reassures me that your liver is OK--it would low if the liver was sick
Thank you Doctor!